Replacement key fob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement key fob

Tring Man

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Northface
Just picked up a Northface at Christmas, very pleased with it so far :)

One minor problem is that both the alarm key fobs (one inch square plastic thing with open & close buttons) are both near end of life. The buttons do not work consistently on either, having to be pressed several times, and one has a broken key ring attaching loop, meaning it cannot be held on a key ring.

I rang up a Ford dealer to be told the original fob had been superseded and the replacement is £105 plus cost of coding.

Simply cannot afford that sort of price.

Does anyone have any ideas on a cheaper option ?

One other question, can you run the car without the fob at all, just using keys ? I am uncertain if the fob has something to do with the engine immobilizer, or if the key unlocks it as well as doors.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Alan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can get away without the fob. The chip is in the key. If you want a fob have a look on amazon and choose ones with the same button arrangement. You can programme them up yourself. Instructions are on the site or in your handbook if you have one.

Just as a side note can you programme them without a working fob?

If the guts are working don't replace the entire fob. Get a case of ebay for like 10 bucks, and swap the guts out of yours. The carbon on the back of the buttons tends to ware out and the new cases will have new carbon. Good as new. I have replaced both of mine.

Ford transit remotes work too and they are ten to a penny

Thanks for the help guys, I managed to get hold of one for about £6 from ebay

Back