Losing Power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bronkwonk

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88 Bronco II XLT
Last night I was driving home in my 88 B-II, bringing my 3 dogs back from the kennel. The Bronc had run fine a week before when I delivered the boys and the B-II for a week's stay while we drove on in the other car (not a Ford). When I picked up the dogs the Bronco started right up (as it always does) and pulled strong and quick to the interstate, then to the two-lane leading back to the mountains where we live. About fifteen minutes into the drive I sensed the car holding back.It seemed to get worse, and when I pulled out to pass another vehicle, it wouldn't exceed 3000 rpm, which made passing impossible.

We got home, over the mountains without trouble, except slow going. Today I ran it, drove it, put a vacuum gauge on it, checked the plugs, and it seemed normal. Vacuum is right where it should be at idle and after acceleration, and there is no unexpected heating. What's happened?

I replaced the muffler two weeks ago, and thought maybe the cat converter had dropped some junk into the airflow, blocking the exhaust, but a check at the tailpipe today demonstrated no choking sound or lack of exhaust pressure (to my hand).

Any direction here? A freak act? The B-II upset at being left behind with the dogs while we went to the beach? Suggestions welcome.

I would check fuel pressure, even going so far as to leaving the gauge hooked up so you can watch pressure readings as you drive. Your pump may be failing.

Ran the B-II Friday for the first time in two weeks, and it ran up and down the mountain like it should. Obviously something giving warning. Fuel pump idea is a good place to start. There are a lot of rusty bits on the underside, so it wouldn't surprise me if the electric is less than perfect. I'll add more when I've put the gauge on and run it a bit.

Back