custom colored ford emblems | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

custom colored ford emblems

ok i got this off of a ford probe site but it should be very similar for the explorers

Here's how it's done.

1) Warm the Emblem with a hairdryer for about 2 minutes. Turn it over and carefully pry around the perimeter with a thin flat object. Now you'll have the front (painted) part (piece 1) and rear seal (piece 2) seperated. Set piece 2 aside where it won't get dirty, the adhesive on it is enough to reseal the finished emblem. CAUTION: if you don't warm the emblem enough before prying, you will crack the clear portion!

2) In order to change the color you must remove the stock color. On the front of piece 1 you'll notice the silver "FORD" is raised on a blue background. When you flip it over the "FORD" is inset and the background is raised. Take fine sandpaper (or a fine emery board) and carefully sand away the background color.

3) Now paint the backside of the emblem any color you want. Touch-up paint or Testors model paints and brush will work fine for this. Allow it to dry thoroughly.

4) Put the 2 pieces back together. And admire your work. If you broke off the mounting tabs removing your emblem, 3M auto adhesive tape works great.

You can also sand the front of the emblem with 400grit sandpaper and clearcoat it, if it has any minor imperfections.

http://www.performanceprobe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5140&d=1118894584

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do you remove the emblem on a 98 ford explorer grill?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do you remove the emblem on a 98 ford explorer grill?

they unbolt from the back

also, you dont have to just paint these.

336904_2619261246376_790136884_o.jpg

did these for one of the members on here as a way of saying thanks.

That looks really good vroomzoomboom. I was thinking of doing something similar to that for mine, but with a blackjack inside.

I tried doing this the other day and melted the lense :/ I tried with a 98 grill emblem (messed that one up) and tried it with the tailgate emblem but quit before I messed it up. Is there certain years of emblems that it is easy to do this with?

Is there a trick to geting the chrome out from the inset part of the lense?

I have ruined several of these, but finaly got on to come off but the chrome came off of the lettering in places. So Im just gonna take it all off. I'm starting to get tired of messing with this!

After destroying several lenses, I figured forget it! I made new lenses with plexi glass and made my own emblems.

Picture0822120924_1.jpg

AHA, great idea. Looks like I will be going with that instead. Good idea Jstcruz.

Very cool, after destroying one I gave up and installed a new stock emblem.

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I just took the FORD emblem off the back of my 2008 Explorer (breaking the retaining tabs in the process) and its not like any of the emblems mentioned above.

The paint is not on the inside, its on the outside. There was a bit peeling, so I chipped a bit more off with my fingernail to confirm it.

That being said, it doesn't look like I'll be able to sand and paint my emblems. Where can I get replacements for my model? Ideally I'd like to get them in black, but at this point I just want new ones that aren't chipped. Mine are the 7" wide kind.

Are the stick on decals any good? The emblem's themselves are in good shape, there is just some cosmetic damage, so maybe stick on decals would be good. Black background with the chrome Ford logo.

would anyone who has done this right be interested in doing 2 for me.
id pay ya for it????

06 Ranger tailgate emblem

The Blue Oval on my ranger tailgate was torn off from its backing which is just that big black plastic oval. Can anyone tell me how to remove that black plastic base? Is it clipped to the tailgate from the inside, or just held there with two sided adhesive. Thanks :rangerred:

Back