Mileage on Delivery? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mileage on Delivery?

I had one of those stickers in my vehicle stating the extra mileage that was put on it at the factory. After waiting 4.5 months for delivery I wasn't very happy. On top of that I got burned with a few more km's for trying to be a conscience owner and get it undercoated and 3m paint film protected (which was outsourced). I put some really high demands on the dealer as far as delivery of the vehicle once I found out it had landed here in Canada, and was happy with them stepping up to the plate. I think mine was pushing 150km's at delivery, at least 100 of those were accounted for the extended factory testing. My wife lost it and didn't even want to take possession. The warranty and delivery paperwork reflected the initial updated mileage, that's about all we could hope for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure Ford requires the dealership to do a Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) and that MUST include cleaning with removal of all factory wrappings. The dealer would get in trouble through Ford if they got paid for this but didn't provide the service.

I don't think they even get a choice.

When my Grand Cherokee arrived, I took delivery and did all the unwrapping, etc. I know they are providing a service and it is their job. But, I like unwrapping my new things, whether it's a new electronic device or a vehicle.

When my Sport arrived the dealer did all the prep. They filled the tank and even put on mud flaps (which I had planned on ordering). I asked them not to wash it, as I was going to clay bar it. They did and all the black accents ended up with swirl marks.

Just think it should be your choice.

Having worked at a couple Ford dealerships, this is hilarious.

When a car comes off the truck, special ordered or not, it goes straight to post delivery to get all the shipping plastic and crap taken off. It's then put into inventory. If someone who works at the dealership needs to go somewhere, it's very common for them to take a car off the lot and go somewhere. And since I was in my late teens and early 20s, the shifter would be going into drive with the foot on the gas before the engine has even reached that initial high idle after start up. Waiting for the engine to properly warm up?!?? Ha! That's a good one. And I wasn't the only one who drove the cars like this. And we'd do this to drive cars 10 inches or 10 miles because I'd drive 40 cars I a day.

I don't think Ford does factory deliveries. If you want to be the first person to put a mile on, check out BMW. They do factory deliveries.

First world problems man. No one really cares about someone putting 82 miles on your odometer before you can fart in it for the first time. $40k minivan or not.

I think 82 miles on a 'customer ordered' vehicle would be excessive unless it was one of the vehicles tested by Ford in which case a sticker would be placed in the window to confirm that.

Peter

Still- big deal.

If you were to buy a brand new Lamborghini, it wouldn't be wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a glass box and shipped to you with zero miles on it. Instead, an Italian named Valetino Balboni would take it out and flog it in the Italian countryside. Many came back with rock chips.

And that's on a vehicle that costs 4 to 5 times (or more) as a 5th gen. Now we're talking about a vehicle that can be found in every mall parking lot and soccer practice and you're so narcissistic about 82 miles on the odometer before you take delivery of your new car?!?!?! Big deal. The person who selected it at random for the factory test drive couldn't give a crap if it was special ordered or not.

I use to work at Cessna. How many hours do you think are put on those jets before being delivered to the customer? It's several. I've been on board for a couple of them.

Mine had 13 miles on it. I was present when it was still on the carrier (factory order).

My F150 (also factory order) had 33 miles on it.

2TimingTom, what may not be a big deal to you, may be to others. You can't speak for everyone here. By the way I didn't have 82 miles on mine as you seen to infer. Mine new vehicle had 20 miles on it after I finished my test drive. It was a showroom vehicle. And it isn't an Explorer.

Peter

Having worked at a couple Ford dealerships, this is hilarious.

When a car comes off the truck, special ordered or not, it goes straight to post delivery to get all the shipping plastic and crap taken off. It's then put into inventory. If someone who works at the dealership needs to go somewhere, it's very common for them to take a car off the lot and go somewhere. And since I was in my late teens and early 20s, the shifter would be going into drive with the foot on the gas before the engine has even reached that initial high idle after start up. Waiting for the engine to properly warm up?!?? Ha! That's a good one. And I wasn't the only one who drove the cars like this. And we'd do this to drive cars 10 inches or 10 miles because I'd drive 40 cars I a day.

I don't think Ford does factory deliveries. If you want to be the first person to put a mile on, check out BMW. They do factory deliveries.

First world problems man. No one really cares about someone putting 82 miles on your odometer before you can fart in it for the first time. $40k minivan or not.

Precisely why I would never buy a new vehicle with more than ~10 km's on it.

Back