• Register Today It's free!

INn-Dash Navigation

Barok

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin
It's time to upgrade my OEM headunit to a GPS system of my 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin . Unfortunately, I can't justify forking out Pioneer, Clarion or Kenwood as they are pretty darn expensive.

Found something in ebay,Link

Has anyone installed this unit? Any known issues? I believe these are Chinese made headunits.

Any recommendation for $500 or less in-dash navigation system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard Barok!! :salute:

It's easy for me to spend your money, so here goes! I recommend the Sony XNV-770BT
Crutchfield used to sell it for $1200 - I was lucky, I scored it on sale for $600.

It has navigation by TomTom, and since TomTom is the only GPS I've ever had there was no learning curve. I got 4 speakers as well and now my system rocks!!

Sonic Electronix has it for $629: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...t[query_id]=12876297&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1

Feel free to ask questions about this unit.

Good luck with whatever you choose to install.

Bump for an update. :dunno:

It's time to upgrade my OEM headunit to a GPS system of my 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin . Unfortunately, I can't justify forking out Pioneer, Clarion or Kenwood as they are pretty darn expensive.

Found something in ebay,Link

Has anyone installed this unit? Any known issues? I believe these are Chinese made headunits.

Any recommendation for $500 or less in-dash navigation system?

Hey Barok:

I'm going through the same thing, trying to decide if those Chinese radios on eBay are going to be junk, or be good. I was really excited to see the ones that run off of Android, which basically gives you unlimited options and accessories. They look good, but I have seen some REALLY bad reviews on them, and the fact that there is no stateside customer support, I have decided to go with a brand name.

So I have looked at most manufacturers and I had a few "Must-Have's".
  • Navigation
  • Rear View Camera Capable
  • Bluetooth Phone Pairing Capable
  • Volume Knob

HD radio would be cool, but not nessesary. I also wanted an easy to use GPS interface with good looking display, so previous customer reviews were important. Bottom line, for me I chose the Jensen VM9725. You can pick one up for $475, which while not as cheap as the Chinese eBay ones, it has great reviews and looks really good. I want it to look at OEM as possible.

Let me know what you pick.

BN

Well, you guys are ahead of me on models - I have a '98 Explorer and want to get some input on these things. My wife hates the cigarette lighter cord going to my Garmin. I have a fairly complex unit now, factory-issue, with a 6-CD changer mounted in the center console. I'm not insisting on finding something that will use this changer, but it has to plug into the existing harnesses and utilize the speaker system. I'm also not going to subscribe to Sirius radio, and don't need a back-up camera, just something that will play CDs (and maybe DVDs), has a good AM/FM radio, and a decent GPS.

Been up on Sonic Web site, and they have some nice models, and I'm not looking to spend a grand or more - rather stay at $500 and below. Any recommendations or personal experiences?

This is probably a little late for the OP, but I thought I would post it anyway.

I was in the same boat, I wanted a full featured 2-din head unit, but really wasn't looking to fork out over $500 for one. I have a few really high quality 1-din head units sitting around, since I couldn't find something reasonably priced I decided to take the plunge and pick up a Chinese unit.

I should point out I'm placing this into a 2008 EB with factory nav and rear entertainment system (no SYNC).

The one I eventually settled on was the Eonon G2104. http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/2-Din-Car-GPS-DVD/G2104.html

It had the basic features I was looking for, and there were some reviews of the unit on other car forums. It was on sale for $189 when I purchased it, so even if it sucked I wouldn't feel like I dropped a lot on it. I selected the g2104 because I found out I can't use a HU with a drop-down face plate due to the dash kits available, plus I like that it had some hard buttons on the face. Having buttons and knobs, it looks similar to the stock unit.

The features I was interested in were: FM/A Radio, CD/DVD player, iPod controls, Bluetooth audio, Bluetooth phone calling, and GPS. It would also be nice to find color matched lighting, and the ability to retain my steering wheel controls.

I was pleasantly surprised when I received the unit. It was well packaged, and included a nice compliment of accessories which included: paper manual, iPod cable, external mic, remote control, GPS antenna, and dash frame. The unit looked very solid, and the build looked as good as you might find from a brand name. Of course we'll have to see how it performs in real life. The instructions were pretty basic, and included a simple wiring diagram. It should be noted that I cut off the ISO connector since US cars don't make use if it, but the company does sell and ISO adapter that would have saved me some soldering.

The install went fairly easy. I did have to purchase a wiring harness/adapter to retain some of the stock features such as retained power, factory sub, and rear entertainment system. With everything wired up and stuffed back into the dash it was time to see how this puppy worked.

First off the touch screen is very responsive. Better than some of the big name brands I looked at. It was quick and registered my presses as you would expect it to. The screen is bright and crisp, although like most full screen units it has some glare issues, but I think that is just something to be expected with a touch screen. The interface allows you to drag and drop icons around and place the different function buttons where you want them. Most of the interface was intuitive, but some of the functions are buried down more than I would have liked (ie audio settings).

The FM radio is ok. My pioneer units were far better, but it managed to pull in all the stations I listen to with very little fade. I'm going to try a different antenna adapter to see if that helps any. I do miss HD not having HD radio, but for under $200 what could I expect. AM was exceptional. I was able to pull in stations I don't usually get. The unit features PTY, DX and RDS which was nice, although it doesn't display song and program information like the many US units.

BT calling was excellent. It paired instantly with my phones, and calling was a snap. Sound clarity from the built-in mike was good, everyone says they can hear me just fine, and the large on-screen keypad makes dialing fairly easy. One thing I dislike is that it only displays the number calling not the name assigned to the number. It does download my very large address book really quickly compared to other HU's I've used. BT audio was just as good and easy.

The navi software the unit comes with is mediocre. Better than the stock navigation, but not as nice as a stand-alone unit. I was able to install iGo-pro which is great navigation software, and works far better than any other HU navigation system I've tried. I'm very happy with it now. It has something called GPS mix which allows you to play your music through the rear speakers while the navigation voice comes through the front speakers.

iPod use is a mixed bag. The large screen means you get access to all the song data, and there is a full playlist available on the right side of the screen the whole time making selecting songs easy. It supports playlists, podcasts, albums, artist and songs, but I found the navigation to be a bit off. For instance you cannot drill down from an artist to an album, but rather have to select the album from the album list if you just want a single album. Also there are no sorting options so if you are in album mode, you get songs in the order they are on the album. In artist mode, I couldn't figure out what order they are using. Still all in all it works fairly well once you get used to the idiosyncrasies.

Steering wheel control is very nice and it allows you to assign your controls to a variety of functions. I don't have dedicated call buttons on my steering wheel so I assigned the mute button to the answer call function.

I haven't tried the rear entertainment system, but you have the option of wiring it so that it either channels the RES sound through the main speakers, or sends the audio and video signals from the HU to the rear system.

I threw in a DVD just to see if it works, and it played the movie just fine with nice onscreen controls for moving through the movie. From what I can tell sound comes out in 4.1 since there is no center channel output.

It also supports SD cards for music and video. I tried an extra SD card I had laying around, and it worked ok. Not a lot of navigation features, and it would probably get confused if you had lots of nested folders, but I probably won't be using it anyway. It also has a 1/8" aux input that lets you basically plug any audio device in, as well as a 2nd USB port. There is also an extra set of RCA inputs which I connected to my center consoles 1/8" port.

The remote is pretty basic but works well and has good range. I typically just throw them in a draw and forget about them, and will probably do the same with this one.

The unit has a 65w per channel amp which gets surprising loud and the sound doesn't distort until you get it pretty high up. That said the units weak point is it's sound quality. It has 2 preset sound settings, and a loudness button along with treble bass and sub levels. It would be much better if it had at least a 7 band EQ. I'm an audiophile and I find myself wishing I could tweak the sound a bit more. Also there are no cross-overs at all. If you don't tweak your sound settings much, you probably wouldn't notice. I think if I upgrade my speakers and sub I might be happier with the overall sound.

It also supports a backup camera which I have yet to purchase. I'll probably pick one up off ebay soon to give it a try.

It also allows you to select a nice Ford logo for the start up screen, and change the background images from a small selection, or upload your own photos for use as a background image.

Compared to any other sub $500 double-din touchscreen unit you get a lot for your money (try getting GPS for under that price). If you just want more features than what the stock unit offers, you can't go wrong. If you need a a great SQ type unit, you'll be disappointing. I intend to keep until I can justify shelling out closer to $1000 for a unit that meets all my needs.

Oh and as far as support goes, I had a question about the steering wheel wiring. I emailed the company and within 2 days had an answer back that clarified my problem. No idea what it would take if I had to return it though.

MFarlow Is this thing still working good for you? I like it

Sorry for the late reply. I'm still using this, and it still works as good as the day I installed it.

They have recently come out with a couple of Andriod models in the same style. I'm considering upgrading to one of those in the future to see if I can run apps on it. It would be pretty cool to have an ODBII app running on the screen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Newsmy_CarPad

I've been looking at this unit. Pretty slick. Quad core, double bluetooth (your phone can be connected, as well as your ODB2 dongle to run Torque Pro). Runs for about ~$400 USD with shipping. reviews on it are solid across a broad spectrum of vehicles, and the XDA developer community has taken an interest (even going so far as to provide fixes/features to the manufacturer's code base).

Back