Hi fellow UK Explorer fans!

kingoftheroad

Reaction score
City, State
Kent, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer NF
Hi everybody,

Thought I would say a quick hello as I have just purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer North Face as a second vehicle. I had a 1999 Explorer a few years ago and was unfortunately involved in an accident and it got written off. I absolutely loved it and so I will be glad to have one back again!

I am hoping I have no problems with it, but we will see...! I live down in Kent and see a few Explorers here and there still which is great. Is anyone else on here from around the Canterbury area?

Toby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Toby welcome along. I am up in Scotland and have a 2000 Explorer too, however not a north face. I hope all goes well with the motor

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Well, I picked up the Explorer a few days ago and it was a great drive from the West Country into London. It drove amazingly well, and the previous owner has really looked after it, suffice to say I had a massive grin on my face most of the way, especially as the weather was a bit wintry!

There are a few problems, which I want to try and deal with myself, so I'll have a good look on the forum for help and try and post anything useful I find.

Snagging list so far:-
  • Broken 5000 RDS Radio, easy swapout of course. Pretty tempted to keep it original.
  • A bit of a clunk from underneath here and there, suspect exhaust bracket.
  • It was quiet from a cold start, and then also quiet on starting after a couple of stops on the journey. When I got back to London after 150 miles I did notice a click from somewhere near the front right of the engine - it was happening every 12 seconds. It does not sound like a rattle, but I had a quick look and I notice the front timing chain tensioner is the old type, so maybe fit a rear tensioner and an oom12 kit (attempt myself..!). Not sure the noise is this though so any thoughts gratefully received!
  • Broken rear wiper motor.

One idiosyncrasy which I don't remember from my first Explorer is that the aerial goes up when I turn the lights on.....

Other than that, another oil change (there have been a few fully synthetic oil changes recently), some AT Winter tyres, and maybe tinted windows B-Pillar back just for a bit of security and a slightly snazzier look.

Toby

The clicking noise could be your air-con compressor activating. Turn the airflow knob to off and see if it stops clicking.

Thanks kevin p,

I didn't have any time to diagnose it when I picked the car up, seems like a good suggestion. I am back on the 21st so shall try it and report back!

Well, thanks everybody!

Just an update - I did pick up my Explorer on the 21st and very quickly verified that the clicking was the AC compressor so thanks to kevin p and briwayjones!

Unfortunately I then had to have a recovery from London to Kent due to a corroded brake line leaking all my fluid onto the road, luckily I had not joined the motorway at that point! My garage did a speedy repair with a copper replacement for a good price.

I have a snagging list and tasks completed update, not really much use to anyone but I shall post separately should I come across anything useful, I'll put some pics soon too. I am not a mechanic at all but really want to do tasks on this myself, so got some tools, a good jack and some ramps to tackle simple stuff. So, TASKS/SNAGS:-

1. I did an oil and filter change. There is paperwork to show very regular oil and filter changes and other fluid checks so I thought I should continue this practice. I went for Mobil1 5W30 fully synthetic and a K&N filter, both of which I got for a great price and free delivery off Amazon Prime. I was happy to see no evidence of contaminants when I changed it. It runs great now and is still super quiet.

2. There was a clunking from below the vehicle that I mentioned in the previous post. After examination the NS Sway Bar Link has lost its top nut and half the bush so this was clonking - not the exhaust at all of course. I have removed it and ordered another pair. Pretty happy with myself for this find!

3. The ARC suspension light comes on after approx 20 minutes driving, it resets on ignition off/on. No apparent issues with the ride, and the rear of the vehicle does not look particularly low (maybe a touch). I have jacked up the rear and floated the wheels with ARC off, dropped it and switched ARC on as I have read on this forum. Sadly, after a quick test drive the light still comes on. The rear shocks appear to be quite corroded, but not investigated any further than this.

4. Got the 5000 RDS radio to work, with a code and some button combinations. No radio signal (antenna still goes up when lights turn on!) but at least the CD changer works. I will check out the rear connections then the aerial and try figure it out.

5. I have ordered a set of General Grabber AT2's in 265/70R16. I always wanted some for my old Exp before I had a crash. I'll be holding on to the tyres that come off as they are quite good - Kumho 255/65R16 M+S rated road tyres.

6. Still need to swap rear wiper motor.

7. Got a quote for tinting windows from B-Pillar back for £140 all in. I know they are good as I got the contact through trusted work recommendation. London based workshop.

8. Really want to do the timing chain tensioners too even though it is running quiet at the moment. I'm on 118k miles and I have no evidence they have ever been done.

Thanks for the welcomes to the forum too,
Toby

Well, thanks everybody!

Just an update - I did pick up my Explorer on the 21st and very quickly verified that the clicking was the AC compressor so thanks to kevin p and briwayjones!

Unfortunately I then had to have a recovery from London to Kent due to a corroded brake line leaking all my fluid onto the road, luckily I had not joined the motorway at that point! My garage did a speedy repair with a copper replacement for a good price.

I have a snagging list and tasks completed update, not really much use to anyone but I shall post separately should I come across anything useful, I'll put some pics soon too. I am not a mechanic at all but really want to do tasks on this myself, so got some tools, a good jack and some ramps to tackle simple stuff. So, TASKS/SNAGS:-

1. I did an oil and filter change. There is paperwork to show very regular oil and filter changes and other fluid checks so I thought I should continue this practice. I went for Mobil1 5W30 fully synthetic and a K&N filter, both of which I got for a great price and free delivery off Amazon Prime. I was happy to see no evidence of contaminants when I changed it. It runs great now and is still super quiet.

2. There was a clunking from below the vehicle that I mentioned in the previous post. After examination the NS Sway Bar Link has lost its top nut and half the bush so this was clonking - not the exhaust at all of course. I have removed it and ordered another pair. Pretty happy with myself for this find!

3. The ARC suspension light comes on after approx 20 minutes driving, it resets on ignition off/on. No apparent issues with the ride, and the rear of the vehicle does not look particularly low (maybe a touch). I have jacked up the rear and floated the wheels with ARC off, dropped it and switched ARC on as I have read on this forum. Sadly, after a quick test drive the light still comes on. The rear shocks appear to be quite corroded, but not investigated any further than this.

4. Got the 5000 RDS radio to work, with a code and some button combinations. No radio signal (antenna still goes up when lights turn on!) but at least the CD changer works. I will check out the rear connections then the aerial and try figure it out.

5. I have ordered a set of General Grabber AT2's in 265/70R16. I always wanted some for my old Exp before I had a crash. I'll be holding on to the tyres that come off as they are quite good - Kumho 255/65R16 M+S rated road tyres.

6. Still need to swap rear wiper motor.

7. Got a quote for tinting windows from B-Pillar back for £140 all in. I know they are good as I got the contact through trusted work recommendation. London based workshop.

8. Really want to do the timing chain tensioners too even though it is running quiet at the moment. I'm on 118k miles and I have no evidence they have ever been done.

Thanks for the welcomes to the forum too,
Toby

Welcome Toby
On the rear wiper; Have a play with the rear window hatch with the ignition on as I believe there is an interlock type thing going on whereby it won't work if the hatch isn't shut properly!! could be a free fix.

Bummer I didn't read this earlier as a couple of weeks ago I was looking for something in my garage and I found a BNIB drop link that i now have no need for. you could have had it for postage. Anyone??

On the shocks. Make sure the air lines are seated into the shocks properly They are simple push fit things. Also check that the ride height sensor is still attached to the underside of the truck and the rear axle just to the right of the diff. May be worth unplugging it and plugging it back in to clean the contacts. The connector is tucked away on the underside of the truck but is still exposed to the elements. If you decide to replace the shocks then Monroe do them along with the 5th shock, available from somewhere like rock auto.

Other things to consider are
1)transmission fluid and filter, depending on the state of the fluid in there now. A messy job but not prohibitively exspensive and whilst the pan is off you can retorque the valvebody bolts (i guarantee some of them will be a shade loose). Filter is £20 approx. and fluid is mercon V (comma do a multi vehicle transmission fluid that meets this spec)
2) transfer case fluid is either mercon or mercon v fluid check level
3) rear diff has no drain point so if you want to change that you have to syphon it out or remove and refit rear cover (no gasket just rtv.) If you decide to remove rear cover just make sure you can get the fill plug out first as they can be testing. Fluid is 75w140 LS 3 and a bit litres (can't remember of the top of my head.
4) front diff fluid is just gear oil but can't remember spec. There is no drain plug accessable so it needs to be syphoned ( i bought a vacuum syphon that worked a treat)

I'm sure you will read plenty of how to threads on the oom12 kit but i can't stress too much that you need to wind the new tensioners in BY HAND as the threads can be crossed very easily.

enjoy the spannering
Jan

Hey thanks for all the tips Jan,

I'll have a play with the rear window to see if it solves the wiper problem The paperwork I got with the vehicle shows that the garage had already diagnosed the motor so we shall see. There was also a fluid service in the middle of last year, I had a look at the trans fluid and looks brand new.

I did the sway link, and have now also replaced the offside front wheel bearing hub assembly - quite an easy job apart for a stubborn bolt requiring plenty of heat. It drives nicely now the wheel doesn't wobble! I think my biggest enemy on this vehicle will be corrosion!

It's in for an MOT as we speak, so hopefully will get a clean bill of health for another 12 months! Then I will probably get stuck into replacing those shocks.

It runs great on the General Grabber AT2's, currently at 38psi but open to suggestions there, I'll have a browse on the forum about that.

I should probably rename this thread to something like "General snags from a new owner" and then stop rambling on , I am always unsure of forum etiquette!

Cheers,
Toby

Hi Toby,
I'm looking to replacing my tyres, mine have plenty of tread but have gone hard, and was wondering what tha AT2's are like when cornering in the wet?
Cheers Kev.

Hi Kev,

I've not had a lot of driving time on them as yet. I had to do my front hub and she has been in for an MOT today - only failing on the handbrake for the near side rear wheel. I'm going to order up the parts kit and shoes and get stuck in - the adjuster didn't do the trick sadly.

That being said, it has been pretty rainy here the past few days so mostly my driving has been taking the Exp out in the wet! The AT2's seem absolutely fine round the bends, I'm not driving it like a maniac but have put it through it's paces a little bit. Seem good on 38psi, but maybe a touch firm. I might run them like that for a week or so and then try them at 35. The 32psi they were at when installed was way too low for the road. I slightly upsized to the 265/70R16 which fit real nice, are ok lock to lock, hold the road well, have no real speedo error and look chunky! I got 4 fitted locally for £480 all in. So far I would recommend them.

Go for it I reckon!

Ok Mate, thanks for the info.

I have run AT2s on my explorer since I bought it in 2007 and they have always been excellent. A good combination of road tyre and very capable off road tyre. The explorer has surprised a few land rover owners!

I have a few issues to sort with mine at the moment and am in a bit of a quandary over what to do with the air suspension. Cant decide if I want to try to get the system sorted or just replace the air ride shocks with standard ones and remove the compressor etc!

Ok, so my Exp has 12 months MOT on it now! I replaced all the handbrake components on the NS wheel and removed some slack in the cable, this still didn't do the trick as the lever and pivot on the assembly were corroded. Got this cleaned up and it passed with no advisories.

I had a root around and my suspension light was due to the ride height sensor not being connected at the bottom. Connected it up, cable-tied for good measure and all seems well with the ARC so thanks Jan! I would still say that the rear is a touch low but not sure (check the pics) - I too am considering ditching it for conventional shocks, Monroe or whatever.

Next job is the two tensioners with OOM12. Can't seem to find any on eBay at the moment, went to Ford Parts and price for both (4822190 tensioner and 4146343 OOM12) is £150 with delivery.....

Hey, njptvr.....must be Nick?! Toby here!

Anyhow, here is a pic of her, might do sidesteps and roof bars....
IMG_4943.jpg

IMG_4944.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

very very nice ...
sitting nice no saggy bum ( :

If you can wait a couple of weeks then you could order the rear tensioner and oom12 kit from tascaparts.com. They are a taexas ford dealership that will ship and they have great prices. Just remember to factor in import duty and vat but it still works out cheaper than uk dealers.
Below is a pick with the US part numbers so you can go on the tasca site to check prices
Eng-TimingChain-ComponentsLocations1.gif

Last time I bought some stuff from them I also got a couple of spare kits to pass on to other members at cost tho you could sell some on ebay at a modest profit!!!

Cheers for that Jan, I still have not bitten the bullet and done it yet. I did check the US prices and I think there must have been a hike as it really isn't working out much cheaper if any. My local Ford dealer in Canterbury can supply the the rear tensioner and OOM12 for about £130 all in so I might just go with that. Maybe do it next week.......
Cheers for the comment Rich, good to know she is not saggy! I still might go for conventional shocks at some stage, possibly with a modest lift, just as a bit of a project.

Cheers for that Jan, I still have not bitten the bullet and done it yet. I did check the US prices and I think there must have been a hike as it really isn't working out much cheaper if any. My local Ford dealer in Canterbury can supply the the rear tensioner and OOM12 for about £130 all in so I might just go with that. Maybe do it next week.......
Cheers for the comment Rich, good to know she is not saggy! I still might go for conventional shocks at some stage, possibly with a modest lift, just as a bit of a project.

You can lift the rear up to 2-3 inches with taller shackles and a bracket to raise the load sensor accordingly. If you then need to adjust the front height to match it is easily done by turning the torsion bar bolt on each side.

Kev P used to do larger shackles and the bracket but to make it worth while he needs an order of 5 or so. He may have plans he can send you and if you weld or know someone that does you could get your own made up. I had a set on mine and the ride height was perfect in my eyes :D
Newandoldshackle.jpg

P1010434.jpg

Yeah Jan, that looks just the ticket. I don't weld myself but might know someone who could knock something up. Just seems to improve the stance I reckon.
Your Explorer in the pic is the same as my old one which I smashed. Nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OOM12 & Rear Tensioner

Well, it has been a while. So I ordered up my OOM12 Kit and Rear Tensioner and did a bit of a Bank Holiday project and fitted them yesterday.

I must say it was straightforward but a bit fiddly, although access to the rear manifold fixings was not as tricky as I had anticipated. It took me about 4 hours to do both jobs, taking into account a couple of trips to Halfords to get some missing tools I needed.

I was hoping to do a video or picture guide as I went along, but ended up just getting stuck in...and there is plenty of info out there. I just used the AllData instructions with no photos and it was straightforward, but I have watched plenty of videos and read more comprehensive instructions in the past!

I never had a distinct rattle on startup, but there was always slight noise which has now completely disappeared. Idle has much improved, again I never had a problem or warning lights but there was some evidence of very slight leaks round the old gaskets which were pretty solid. It is now so quiet and runs really smooth.

Installation of the rear tensioner was really easy, I reused the washer from the old tensioner and nipped it up to about 70Nm I think, and have checked it after a good run and all is well.

As I say, I didn't do a guide but here are a few random pics:-

Attachments

• IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_5718.jpg
    IMG_5718.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_5717.jpg
    IMG_5717.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_5716.jpg