Finding the right AWD front differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finding the right AWD front differential

kendrake6969

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
I have a 2001 Explorer Limited AWD with a 5.0 engine and I need to replace the front diff because its howling and grinding. I can only afford used. I have seen different ones for sale with different gear ratios, how do i know which will work properly on my Explorer? Oh and hello I'm new here and this looks like a great and knowledgeable group of people, I hope you wont scoff at my ignorance. Thank You. :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first, welcome to the forum
second, any diff from a 97 and up 4L or 5L truck will work/fit into yours. if you are not sure of the ratio, if you look on your rear diff tag it will have some numbers on the bottom line and read something like 3 55 8.8, 3 73 8.8 or 4 11 8.8. the first 3 numbers are the ratio. or you may have a sticker on the door that will have a axle code on it.
however, are you certain it is the diff, and not the transfer case?

Thank you for your reply Vroomzoomboom. Im not 100% sure it's the diff but it sounds like it is to me and I can feel the grinding through the steering wheel. Also a few days ago I took it to a local repair shop and asked them if they could identify the noise . The mechanic took it for a test drive and said it was definitely the front diff. I will look for those numbers today and see what I can find.

so i grabbed this from a google search so it may help you a little more

DSC00464.jpg

the first number and one number tell you your ratio on the bottom left

3L73, tells you its a 3.73 ratio, then 8 8 tell you the diff size

keep in mind, this is the rear tag. if that is on your rear diff, then you will be able to know what your gear is, and you will know what what is also in the front. i go by the diff tag more then the door sticker because sometimes the sticker is painted over, rubbed off, or you never know if the door was replaced with the same color of door from a different truck.

OK I found the tag on the rear diff and I have a 3.73 8.8 . There are some diffs on ebay that are from 4X4 explorers and they say they are compatible with the AWD explorers. This is not true is it?

a 95 and 96 v6 trucks are different. the were vacuum operated (they have a "knot" on the passengers side). otherwise any second gen explorer front axle that has 3.73's will work

I have read that because of the limited slip required to drive on pavement is different than what the 4X4 diff has. I dont mean to upset you by questioning your expertise but this is a major purchase for me in my current situation and I just want to make sure your saying any explorer front diff with the right gear ratio 4X4 or AWD 97 to 2001 will work for mine. I hope my respect for you and your knowledge is well placed.

OK I will see what I can find and will post an update with what happens. Thank you for your time and Knowledge.

Back