• Register Today It's free!

ABS Speed Sensor

ice911

Reaction score
City, State
Pontiac, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer XLT
Whare is the front speed sensorlocated behind the brake and does anyone know whare i can find a brake system diagram?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think the 94's only have rear abs although i am not sure

Does anyone knows where I can find a diagram o picture of the speed sensor of my 2000 EB explorer? I have a problem whit my speedometer and I think it could be the speed sensor, but I can not find it. Any picture will help.
Thanks.

Welcome to this forum! Look on the top of the rear differential. This is also used for the ABS system. Some older models have sensors on the transfer case. Even older models had the sensor directly on the transmission.

i think the 94's only have rear abs although i am not sure

My '93 has ABS on the front. When I'm wheeling it makes a "BUUUUUUUUNG" sound. It's great.

On 1st gen Explorers (91-94) the front ABS wheel sensor is pressed into the steering knuckle as shown in the picture below. The second picture shows the backside of the steering knuckle.

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_WEB.jpg

Did you get the speedometer to work. I have an inop speedometer also.
Thanks

The front ABS wheel sensor is pressed into the steering knuckle as shown in the picture below. The second picture shows the backside of the steering knuckle.

Steering_knuckle_labels_WEB.jpg

205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_WEB.jpg
Thanks for the pictures. Very Helpful! how do you remove the sensor so you can get the axleshaft out?

Kerry

There is a VERY tiny screw holding the sensor in place. It is shown in the pic above...I wanna say the head of the screw is 6mm or something like that....

Ryan

Thanks for the pictures. Very Helpful! how do you remove the sensor so you can get the axleshaft out?

Kerry

The Sensor (Aluminum cylinder) is NOT removed.. Rather only the Red Sensor protector is. You need to use a 12pt 6mm 1/4" drive socket to remove the bolt holding it in place. It is the ONLY way to remove the bolt without damaging it.

After the Spindle Nuts and Sensor protector are removed you just need to use a slide hammer to pull of the spindle. See how to remove a stuck spindle for info and pics.

Back