Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

2002 4.0 pcv location

Old 06-04-2004, 09:59 PM   #1
cferr
lafayette, la
2002 mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2002 4.0 pcv location

A lot of good info for pcv in this forum, but couldn't find location of pcv valve for 2002 mountaineer 4.0. I know it isn't recommended till 60,000 miles, but this is a maint. item I like to change often. Thanks cferr
cferr is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
RickOTR
1997 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
if you have the SOHC engine try this link.

http://www.explorerforum.com/data/sh...=1&thecat=3108

2006 Ford GT:
2007 Lincoln MKX
2013 Cadillac ATS
RickOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
cferr
lafayette, la
2002 mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I still can't find it, I think my engine is different than the link you provided. I tried to attach a picture of my engine, but I can't post attachments. Anyway, 2002 Mountaineer with 4.0 v6 sohc not the flex fuel one. Maybe someone who has this model and has the ability to post attachments and will attach an image of their engine. Thanks Cferr
Old 06-06-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
cferr
lafayette, la
2002 mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Please someone with this same engine enlighten me!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
cferr
lafayette, la
2002 mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
bump!
Old 06-28-2004, 12:03 AM   #6
cferr
lafayette, la
2002 mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
bump!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
easnoddy
Bogart, GA
1997 Sport 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Are you sure the picture is wrong? You've taken off the engine/throttle cover? It's WAY in the back, right next to the firewall. Mine is just like the picture, and I haven't tried pulling it out, it's so friggin hard to get to.
easnoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
Rick500
'02 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Can't find it either...

I'm having the same problem... I can't find the PCV valve. I've found several pics in different threads here, but none of them seem to match my engine. (2002 Explorer XLT 4.0, non-flex-fuel.)

Here's a pic of the engine, if it helps (throttle body cover removed):

Can anyone spot the PCV valve? (I guess it's probably over on the driver's side, but unfortunately I don't have a pic handy from that angle.)
Rick500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
joefnh
New Hampshire
03 XLT

Vehicle Specs

It is located in the back right hand side of the intake manifold, between the intake manifold and the firewall. It is a pain to reach.

Good Luck

--Joe
joefnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Rick500
'02 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Thanks, Joe. I'll get under there and tackle it again this afternoon.

Assuming you mean driver's side when you say "right" ?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
joefnh
New Hampshire
03 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Yes drivers side of the intake manifold.

Basically one of the worst places to locate the PCV

--Joe
joefnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
bcrpc1
Elizabethton, TN
2003 EXP-XLT 4x4 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

Dk Exp looky here

on the 2002-2005 4.0L ohv motor look on the divers side valve cover on the back between the valve cover and firewall look for a hose on the intake manifold and the valve cover it is in the back of the cover and once the hose is removed the larger one on the back of the manifold and gets smaller on the pcv side it is a u shape hose goes from the back top edge of manifold down to the back of the valve cover it is located in the very back edge of both the manifold and valve cover side on the drivers side i can post a pic if i am told how to thanks and hope this helps mine is a 2003 I was told that 2002-2005 ohv 4.0l are all the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
I'm having the same problem... I can't find the PCV valve. I've found several pics in different threads here, but none of them seem to match my engine. (2002 Explorer XLT 4.0, non-flex-fuel.)

Here's a pic of the engine, if it helps (throttle body cover removed):

Can anyone spot the PCV valve? (I guess it's probably over on the driver's side, but unfortunately I don't have a pic handy from that angle.)
bcrpc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
Rick500
'02 XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Found it, thanks.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
bikeo
McKeesport, Pa
2002 Police

Vehicle Specs

Driver's side is actually 'left' side. All direction in a vehicle is determined from sitting behind the wheel. Whatever...all I know is mine is on transmission number 4! Hooray! What a piece of garbage.
bikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
stuartr
Richlands, VA
2002 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dang, I just looked the part up on bigfordpartsstore. com and it is $11 is it really worth changing if not being a problem? Would it help of hurt the old one to clean it up with maybe some WD 40 or maybe some parts cleaner? Just not sure if it would be worth fixing if it ain't broke.

STU
stuartr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
matt98sport
Elliot Lake, ON
1998 Explorer Sort, 4.0L

Vehicle Specs

I dont think its so much as fixing something that isnt broke, more so then it is preventative maintenance. You may notice adverse effects to your gasketry by never changing your PCV =)
matt98sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
nchevy
Ottawa ON
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I have an issue which i think is related to the PCV in my 2004 ford explorer xlt. I picked it up used private sale 02/25/2011. I was used to driving a small 2.0L mazda P5 and I knew gas consumption on the Ford would be more but not like this...Specs state that the truck has an 88L tank, i only got 300km out of it, that is the equivalent to 1 gallon per mile, terrible i know. I figured I would check the air filter and low and behold half of it is stained with oil and i have maybe a half cup floating in the bottom of the casing. I cleaned it up but it got me worried, i just changed the oil on 02/26/2010 and did not have any issues, I do not see any leaks or seapage through seals and gaskets. I do not have a K&N air filter, just a regular paper filter and I am sure it's not sopposed to have any oil in there... with the research that I have looked into I am lead to believe i need to change my PCV, no problem but I cannot find it, any help with probable causes for the oil in my filter and where the PCV is. Thanks! Also any serious injury to my beloved ford because of this. Quick note as well, I was sitting at a little over my full line...not sure if it can overflow through the breather into my air intake to the filter, that would be nice to hear that is it but my Mileage still blows and I know I can get more out of it, this was my trial period, slow take offs, no 4x4, easy cruising...just so I had an idea of my possible max km/tank! Had a 2000 explorer 4L with 210 000km. So I have experience with their mileage as we drove across Canada. NEED HELP!!!
nchevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page