ATF Filter and Tranny Cooler Relocation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF Filter and Tranny Cooler Relocation

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
After having seen what appears to be the ideal location for the tranny cooler and filter on Monmix’s Explorer ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1131092#post1131092 ) ), I decided to relocate mine to a comparable location. Not only will the tranny cooler get excellent air flow, but also the tranny filter with the Cool Collar attached ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125508&highlight=cool+collar ) will get direct air flow. This setup should yield a cooler operating transmission.

My ATF filter was previously mounted in the passenger’s side fender well ( see picture ) and the tranny cooler was mounted to the radiator behind the grill. These locations worked well and I had no problems. I was merely looking for a superior way/location to mount them. Monmix’s was the finest I have ever seen; I chose to emulate his installation.

I decided to purchase a larger tranny cooler ( than I presently had ) and I definitely wanted a stacked plate style cooler ( which allows better cooling than ordinary fin & tube coolers like I had ). Monmix used a B & M cooler in his installation and after discussions with him ( he even went out in the snow to measure for me ), I decided to also go with a B & M cooler. However, since I often tow a Jeep on a tandem trailer in the hot Florida weather, I opted for a larger tranny cooler with added cooling potential. As an added bonus,the location will allow the addition of a “pusher” electric fan if the need ever arises.

I ordered the B & M model 70264 ( SuperCooler 24,000 GVW 11"x6"x1-1/2" ) from Summit Racing ( http://store.summitracing.com/defau...k=KeywordSearch&Ntt=B+&+M+transmission+cooler ). The cooler cost $49.88.

The front bumper was removed very easily by taking off the 4 nuts that hold it in place. I also had to unplug the fog lights ( they did not need to be removed ). Once gently lifted, the bumper essentially sides off the 4 studs and is set aside. It can be done by oneself but it is much easier with a helper.

This new tranny cooler fit well in the location I choose ( see picture ). I simply drilled holes in the lower radiator support and used self tapping screws to attach the cooler.

The remote tranny filter ( http://store.summitracing.com/defau...110&Ntk=KeywordSearch&Ntt=transmission+filter ) location required me to fabricate a mounting bracket. On my chop saw, I cut a piece of 3/16 “ steel plate to fit between the mounting bolts for the auxiliary factory tranny cooler which is mounted to the radiator bracket. The steel plate was cut to 3” and drilled to use the existing factory cooler bolts and for the three holes for the tranny filter bracket. The steel mount was meticulously cleaned with lacquer thinner and then painted flat black to avert any rust formation.

New ATF hose ( 3/8” hose that came with the B & M cooler ) was used to route the lines. Everything was buttoned up and the hoses secured with tie wraps. The motor was then cranked to check for any leaks; as expected, there were none.

The electrical signal wire to the transmission temperature gauge ( http://www.dakotadigital.com/Detail.cfm/-/Category=133/PartNumber=ODYR-08-3/product.htm ) had to be rerouted. The ground from the ATF filter housing also had to be rerouted.

The bumper was reattached. This was accomplished with a helper and is quit a bit more difficult than removing it due to the alignment process.

This relocation project cost $49.88 for the B & M tranny cooler ( I had on hand al the extra materials ) and took about 1 ½ hours to accomplish.

A road test will soon be performed to evaluate the new setups effect on tranny operating temperature; a report will follow.

Attachments

• cool coolar 003.jpg
    cool coolar 003.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 5,061
  • DSC00671.jpg
    DSC00671.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 5,423
  • DSC00674.jpg
    DSC00674.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 5,432

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A closer view ....

The flow of ATF is from the factory axillary cooler to the B & M cooler to the filter to the tranny.

Attachments

• DSC00673.jpg
    DSC00673.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 5,579

What kind of benefit do you see with the added cooler? I have seen the numerous posts on the auxillary tranny filter and how people have said there are noticable benefits to this added filter. I am kinda debating on adding a secondary filter since my X has 117,000 miles and the extra filter may help the tranny in lasting longer.

expl0der8 said:
What kind of benefit do you see with the added cooler?

I am kinda debating on adding a secondary filter since my X has 117,000 miles and the extra filter may help the tranny in lasting longer.

Heat is your trannys worst enemy. Anything that you can do to reduce the tranny operating temp is a plus for its life expedency.

Dirt is the trannys second worst enemy. The auxillary tranny filter is a plus no matter how you look at it. Further another plus with the extra filter is the added quart od ATF.

Is there any said about a filter decreasing the flow of fluid?

Hats off to you Al, you do some very clean work. I love reading your posts.

By the way, how does your X tow your jeep, pretty well? What kind of mileage do you get?

I like the little bracket for the filter. That looks like a great location and should be an easy install using the same bolts as the existing cooler. I installed a filter on my '99 about where you mounted the 2nd aux cooler by slipping a long bit driver extension above the bumper and drilling self tapping screws into the radiator support. It is hidden behind the license tag holder. I have a filter for my '97 to put in when I service the transmission in the Spring. I didn't want to put it in the same location, because the '97 has no license tag holder and it would be very visible. So this looks like the perfect solution. Thanks guys.

Looks identical to mine too! Only thing I'm concerned about is swapping the filter out. Looks pretty tight in there. You may not have the problem with your air dam though.

9765DSC00916.jpg

JoshC said:
Hats off to you Al, you do some very clean work. I love reading your posts.

By the way, how does your X tow your jeep, pretty well? What kind of mileage do you get?

Thank you for the kind words.

The Explorer towes the Jeep well with the exception of the mileage which is from 13 to 15 MPG.

IAmTodd said:
Looks identical to mine too! Only thing I'm concerned about is swapping the filter out. Looks pretty tight in there. You may not have the problem with your air dam though.[/img]

The filter access should be ok; fingers crossed.

nice job, yet again.. I love reading your findings. Is that B&M remote filter kit #80277?

Also, where are you mounting these gauges? do you have pictures?

You all are a bunch of copy cats !!!!!!!! :D

Al, job well done man. Looks great !!!!!!!!!

Todd, I guess yours looks good too :)

I might have to get one of those filter coolers just to class mine up a little bit.

Attachments

• trannycombo.jpg
    trannycombo.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5,134

Here are the pictures I promised ....

Attachments

• DSC00684.jpg
    DSC00684.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 5,274
  • DSC00685.jpg
    DSC00685.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 4,962

aldive said:
The Explorer towes the Jeep well with the exception of the mileage which is from 13 to 15 MPG.

Geez, i only get 10 in my PSD towing my X, i'm doing something wrong!

I think that Al has a Canadian model explorer and he is reading kilometers instead of miles... :D

I did my external filter the same way, and notched the spoiler just a tad to make it all work out. It's hardly noticable, except for those with sharp eyes that ask me what that white spot is sticking out of my spoiler area. It's a tad tight on changing out, but with a filter PLIERS it comes out pretty easily.

glfredrick said:
I think that Al has a Canadian model explorer and he is reading kilometers instead of miles... :D

I did my external filter the same way, and notched the spoiler just a tad to make it all work out. It's hardly noticable, except for those with sharp eyes that ask me what that white spot is sticking out of my spoiler area. It's a tad tight on changing out, but with a filter PLIERS it comes out pretty easily.

Got any pics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wanted to ask you aldive why you put the filter last? I think(take it for what it's worth, saw mention of it on BITOG) that before coolers would not only keep flow better through the filter because the fluid is warmer, and therefore thinner, but there would be less chance of getting gunk in the coolers, causing blockage.

Back