Control Trac 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Control Trac 4WD

jodis

Reaction score
I own a 97 Explorer Sport equiped with Control Trac 4X4, it's go 70,000 miles. About a year ago I was in a pretty serious accident. In addition to the extensive body damage the entire frame had to be replaced. All undamaged origional parts were transfered to the new frame and the body was bolted back on. About four months later When I started it and backed out of a parking space the ffront diff. locked in 4X4 even though the selector switch on the dash was in auto. Once I drove out of the parking lot it dropeed back to normal and the 4X4 lights on the dash blinked. It didn't do it again for a few months. Jusst recently It started again and I brought it to Ford, they couldn't find a problem and the computer logged no codes.

I was told that unless I could bring it to tthem (Ford) when it was locked up they couldn't help me. It does it on a semi-regular basis but as soon as I get above 35 mph it drops back to 2WD.

I had a complete transmission/transfer case service done a week ago and everything was fine. I was able to get it to lock up for the transmission guys. Even with their computer connected at the time they got no codes. We also checked the ABS system to see if one of those sensors may be causing a problem, no luck.

I'm sure that this is an elctrical problem that we can't find, I suspect a bad actuator. The 4X4 systems still works fine and the trans. works perfect. I'm running out of ideas quick and would like some help. Anyone got a magical trick?

This might eliminate one possible symtom from your problem. The drop out of 4WD to 2WD at 35 MPH is normal for the Control-Trac system in Auto mode. The other symtoms sound like wheel sensor (ABS) but you had them checked.
Hope this info helps. Good luck.

------------------
Exploring CA
98 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

This might eliminate one possible symtom from your problem. The drop out of 4WD to 2WD at 35 MPH is normal for the Control-Trac system in Auto mode. The other symtoms sound like wheel sensor (ABS) but you had them checked.
Hope this info helps. Good luck.

------------------
Exploring CA
98 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

You're right, it does drop out at about 35. The only problem is as soon as you stop the engine and restart it defalts back to 4X4 High. Once I get to 35mph it drops to 2WD but the 4X4 lights blink until I stop the engine. Even with these lights blinking we get no codes. When I first start the truck and it defalts to 4X4 high, the indicator lights on the dash don't come on. If I switch the dash switch to either 4WD setting, the lights work perfect and so does the transmission? It been in a transmissions shop for two days now, we seem to think the transfer case motor is bad, that seems to be a common problem. Thanks for your help.

Back