LED puddle light project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED puddle light project

I originally bought these LEDs to make some custom fog lights buy bought HIDs instead:) So I was bored tonight and came up with these. These LEDs are 10mm 10000mcd hyper whites. Anyway, these took me about two hours tonight and I wanted to show them off. THey are alot brighter than the camera makes them out to be because of the light compensation. Now I just have to make them fit in my mirrors. The soldering job is terrible because I had no flux, bot oh well--it will be fine with the little current they draw. I have about 1000 of these and I am now working on some 6x9 driving lights.

Attachments

• justin 017.jpg
    justin 017.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 844
  • justin 018.jpg
    justin 018.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 827
  • justin 019.jpg
    justin 019.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 819

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow nice!!! I'd really love to do this mod one day.

Nice! That looks huge I hope it fits. Should be crazy bright! PICS!

Yeah, it is going to take some work to fit them in there. I may have to trim the boards a little. The thing about LEDs when you get the mcd this high--they are extremely directional. I hope the lenses disperse the light.

where did u buy them how much link? and also got to post up nite pictures!!! i cant wait!!!

I bought them on ebay. I dont have a link but the seller was besthongkong.

i cud only imagine how bright those puppies are

I had 12 5 mm 6000MCD in my overhead console and it was so bright

well, I decided to change the design of the whole thing. The originals would fit fine, but would be open to where the mirror movement is. I built these to fit into the stock light enclosure. I dropped the number of the LEDs to 8 each. I was able fo fit them where the stock bulb was and sealed them back up with butylene.

Attachments

• justin 027.jpg
    justin 027.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 798
  • justin 025.jpg
    justin 025.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 811
  • justin 022.jpg
    justin 022.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 788

more pics.... The lights are alot more blue white than pictures make them look.

Attachments

• justin 028.jpg
    justin 028.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 783
  • justin 029.jpg
    justin 029.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 807
  • justin 026.jpg
    justin 026.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 809

looks awesome, dang bright!!

btw what are you gonna do with 1200 leds???

I planned on building offroad lights with about 500 LEDs each. I had lost interest interest in the project until yesterday. Now I have started back on them. These wont quite have 500-and are only 4x6, but should be piss bright.

Attachments

• justin 030.jpg
    justin 030.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 802

wanna make me some underbody rock lights? i need more ;)

I have read but NOT tried yet...If you cut the ends off LEDs that they will still work and be much less directional.
If you feel like effen around with some of your LEDs let us know if it's true.

Puddle lights look great by the way.

Yes, you can cut the end of of LEDs to make them less diretional-- As long as you dont disturb the PN junction(what makes the light). I tried cutting about 1/4" off of these LEDs and they make a very wide pattern. If someone wants the first set I made, make me an offer-- just remember the labor that was involved.

cool idea about the driving lights...but will they project that far? i really dunno, all i know is the head lamp that i use (petzl tikka plus) runs 4 leds and has a range of 7 meters. im sure with extra leds itll go further...although also these are higher output. i dunno, would like to see how these turn out! watcha gonna do for a lense?

I will either use clear plexi for a lens or pour between the LED lenses with clear epoxy. I wont know how well they project until I make 'em:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you wire those in to? I'd like to somehow wire up my fogs are rear tail lights along with a set of puddle lamps to come on when I unlock my door. Sorta how the lux. suv's do it, I believe it can be done. I just suck at wiring

Back