Chief's Custom high steer comnversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chief's Custom high steer comnversion

Here is what I started with.....

Attachments

• Lifted X Front Solid Axle View.jpg
    Lifted X Front Solid Axle View.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 623

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought some chromoly tube. Used 1 1/4 inch tube with a .120 wall thinckness. Cut it to length and welded on chromoly heim joint ends. That was all easy. The hardest part was modifying the stock knuckle. So we cut two pices of steel. The first was the new piece that would connect the new drag link. I cut that out of 3/4" steel and my freind "the weldor" welded it for me since it is a 'cast' knuckle. (didnt want to die if it broke:) ) Anyway the second pice was cut out of 3/8" steel that was placed vertically under the 3/4 inch piece like a "web" to provide strength.

Attachments

• Donny welding knuckle.JPG
    Donny welding knuckle.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 483
  • new knuckle.JPG
    new knuckle.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 430
  • knuckle inside.JPG
    knuckle inside.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 432
  • knuckle bolted up.JPG
    knuckle bolted up.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 465

here is what it all looked like finished..... note that the drag link now goes above the leaf and is very much closer to level. The result was incredible!! No bump steer and finally a nice tight steering feel with responsiveness!!!!! worked awesome!!! Total cost for tubing, heim ends, and bolts was right at about 300 bucks. (knuckle was done by friend free of charge). (Labor was done by me free) I also got about a $70.00 savings on the heim joints thanks to my friend. That helped alot....

Attachments

• finished from front.JPG
    finished from front.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 439
  • high steer look.JPG
    high steer look.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 413

buy some jackstands!

The original steering was scary! Glad you got it fixed now. Are the bolts tight? there is no thread showing through the opposite site of the nuts.

Heh, my jack works....
I got bolts just the right length so they are actually flush with the nut end. Yes they are tight and perfect length. All grade 8. I got lockwashers on there and locking nuts.... they arent going anywhere. In one pic you can see that the bolt doesent quite clear all the way through the nut, that is only because there where extra washers on there and it was just put on for "mock" purposes.

Why not flip the drag link so it runs on top instead of the bottom? You would get a few more inches of clearance. :)

I may have to do that for my steering setup on my EB d44, can I get more pics of the knuckle and details of the work at soul.embraced@hotmail.com thanks.

james t said:
Why not flip the drag link so it runs on top instead of the bottom? You would get a few more inches of clearance. :)

Thats what i did when i went crossover on my turd.y

38102.jpg

is there any way that i can get pictures of your lower dual shock mount?

sn0border88 said:
I may have to do that for my steering setup on my EB d44, can I get more pics of the knuckle and details of the work at soul.embraced@hotmail.com thanks.
On a D44 just get a flat top knuckle and high steer arm and do it the correct way.

I realize the options for high steer on a D30 are slim and/or expensive, but you are seriously pushing the limits Chief. I have broken a D30 knuckle with steering mounted to the stock location, and Rick broke his D44 knuckle that was welded up similar to yours. I'd hate to see you break that on the trail and leave you stranded.

For the amount of money you spent you could have bought the nice kit from www.mountainoffroad.com

I have seen to many of those that you made break.

james t:
I was going to flip the drag link but the steering stabalizer wouldnt fit that way. I looked into mounting it in different ways and clearance between the axle disconnect housing and the diff cover were just not allowing a very good way. So I kept it under and it is clean that way. There is no issue with clearance its very high up and the stabalizer or axle housing would hit something first.

Attachments

• finished from front.JPG
    finished from front.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 414

sn0border88: I will email you with my number.

Yomie: I looked for a pic and didnt have one, It is dark now I will try to get
one on here for you tomorrow. It is basically a triangle shaped pice
about 3/8 inch thick, that is welded to the axle housing behind the
knuckle. one shock on one side , one bolt going through to the
opposite side and. the second shock is on that side with the nut
holding it on. Just like the top mounts.

Trckmagik: Well there is no gaurauntee that would fit my truck because obvioulsy it isnt a jeep. Also I spent 300 bucks and that kit is about 500 bucks. The other thing is, I wonder if that kit includes chromoly for the rod and chromoly heim ends.

I understand the concerns though, I have the same ones, but hopefully I dont have an issue. we shall see. It held up this year. hopefully I will get the dana 44 before I have a breakage issue...

Back