How to clean your maf with pics... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to clean your maf with pics...

everythintech

Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
How to clean your maf with pics... updated

i went to schucks auto, but any auto parts store will do, and i picked up some maf cleaner, sensitive electronics cleaner will work too.

100_0777.jpg

Next i unbolted my maf and placed it on the ground with the top being the filter side, the side on the ground is the throttle body side

100_07751.jpg

100_0774.jpg

maf2.jpg

Next, hold can about a foot away, and spray in pulses, about 15.. let dry, it should fairly quick because of the alcohol in it, but give it some time, a few minutes.

Use this wait period to clean the inside walls, i put that spray on a cloth and wiped it out, be sure not to go near the actual adapter, those filaments are easy to destroy.

After you are done cleaning, bolt back in. Take a drive around the block.... i always do!

hope this helps,
Chris

what i have circled in black is your actual sensor, when you spray, aim towards that, but make sure you are about a foot away. that is what you are actually cleaning. just spray in there, do not put anything in there!

what i have circled in blue, the the part you clean, just wipe down the whole inside. do not get anything in the black circle ie dust.

hope this clears some question up, keep the questions comin' if you got em

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good write up. which adapters are you talking about...like where the wire harness is on top?

ahh ok. i was just a little confused :confused: too much studying argh.

Thanks alot for the post, helped me get some power back!

I'm guessing this works the same for the MAF's taht are completely screened like my 94. Not just the small section as you depict in the photo.

Its easier to take the two security torx off and pull the sensor out. Mine did have the glue on one of them though, got that out with a dremel years ago. You have much better access to the filaments with the sensor removed from the housing.

JL 3x12 Xplorer said:
Its easier to take the two security torx off and pull the sensor out. Mine did have the glue on one of them though, got that out with a dremel years ago. You have much better access to the filaments with the sensor removed from the housing.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Back