Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce" | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the registry for Wedgie 2.0, who has been affectionately named "Deuce"

From Shad's info to save keystrokes:

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Gray Leather
Yada, yada, yada...

Highlights:

• Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles, and filled with synthetic
  • Lifted 2" in front with torsion keys
  • Lifted 3" in back with Add-a-Leaf and Warrior Shackles
  • New Superlift shocks at 166,000 miles
  • 31" x 10.5" tires
  • As much rust as some southern trucks- she's clean...

Interesting fact- it was an XLT fitted with air-ride shocks from the factory. System was disabled with the kit and shocks were put on to avoid costly repair.

Next to Wedgie:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Today 1/28/11 was the first car wash.

IMG_1671.jpg

And yes, it needs to be cleaned... :D

IMG_1707.jpg

Um... This is going to be my biggest challenge to date.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

But it's going to be fine. It's an incredible place to start- the steering wheel isn't even gummy or rolled. I'm very pleased with the canvas... :thumbsup:

Anyway, after the car wash, I snapped some pics for starting point reference.
So, here are our obligatory before pictures...

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Door seams always oiled

IMG_1688.jpg

Hatch looks brand new as well!

IMG_1698.jpg

Nothing on the rocker seams ...but a paint chip :D

IMG_1687.jpg

Rockers nice. No rust even at the back- just grime and ice. I think the mudflaps really helped...

IMG_1685.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joe,

Did ya notice a difference in how the leather felt when you were done? I just picked up a car with leather but its colored (red and black) and my only concern is it removing the color. I was looking at some of the meguiars stuff like the aloe cleaners and they seem pretty good.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I went looking for Magic Erasers after seeing Joe use them on Wedgie. Walgreens has the Multi-Eraser on sale sometimes, two boxes for $3.99 for a total of 8 pads.
The Mr.Clean erasers were $3.99 for 2 pads.
I bought the Walgeens version and they worked fine.

When I did this to my 95, I bought the target pads, there were like 4 to a box for 2$

Jeremy- it honestly depends on the leather. I don't know that I would do red or black. The darker the leather, the more apt you are to have color removal in my experience. Even the dark graphite driver's door panel I did lightly had more streaking than the medium dark graphite panel that I reefed on.

There is a huge difference in the suppleness of the leather after it's been done. Brian and Sean both did it, they know...

The aloe sisters are indeed good products, there is a new leather team of products for 2011 though, I may try it when I run out of original Meg's LCC. The only thing holding me back is that I just never liked leather "sprays" per se.

CLICK

Just to warn, it got seriously out of hand tonight out there in the garage...

If it's getting out of hand mate, then you need to grip it tighter!!!:D

You can only get so much hand/grip on a telephone pole though...

someone also needs to count how many Lynchy-isms are already quoted... :D

By the way- yes, things got out of hand tonight.

IMG_2532.jpg

Joe some nice men are going to come over and put you in a nice new white jacket tomorrow morning. Just remember that we all care about you and want the best for you.:D

Joe, the main thing is that we love you!! :p:

It depends if we use the buffer or the polisher. ;)

hahaha, lamb's wool or micro fibre? That's a bugger of a decision, mmmm........:scratch:

Ok, today we're going to toss out some Spoon for our viewing music.

Why? After reading the last few posts, all I can say is "Don't you Evah..." :D

So last night's task was swapping out the whiteface gauges. They just didn't look good to me in that rig. I loved them in Snowball, white truck with tan interior, but the dark blue with gray just looked off to me. Just my personal preference, I suppose. So, I swapped them out with original black with a slight change.

While I had to dismantle the dash, I figured I should clean up in there since it was all apart anyway.

Why?

Because this s**t is disgusting.

IMG_2516.jpg

Then I remembered- I still have some pin-tip Q's.

IMG_2518.jpg

Between regular Q's and pin-tips, I can clean everything in there... :D

So, the cleaning started, including the MFS and gearshift handle

IMG_2517.jpg

The airbag cover

IMG_2519.jpg

The headlight indicator cutouts, the vent, and the steering wheel gaps since the airbag was out.

A little APC sprayed on to soften it up, then a pin-tip Q...

I had to-

IMG_2522.jpg

After 2 grooves:

IMG_2523.jpg

While I was in there, I also disconnected the stupid dinger wire, taped it up and tucked it under the cowl trim. YES, I did clean the ignition trim. Inside and out. :p:

IMG_2527.jpg

A little white lithium, and all is better.

IMG_2530.jpg

Clean gaps.

IMG_2536.jpg

Clean airbag cover.

IMG_2520.jpg

And the cluster- black face, silver trim from a spare white cluster, everything clean.

IMG_2540.jpg

I told you it got out of hand.

IMG_2532.jpg

What's the worst part? I spent just over 3 hours on the rig, didn't touch the leather on the wheel or the top dash pad yet, and didn't even get east to the radio bezel or the rest of the dash. :shifty_ey

Joe: You would of made one tough Marine Corps Drill Instructor. Them recruits would of never have gotten their rifles clean enough for your taste. "Let me see your war face"?

warface.jpg

:D

Joe: You would of made one tough Marine Corps Drill Instructor. Them recruits would of never have gotten their rifles clean enough for your taste. "Let me see your war face"?

x2. I remember trying to get all the carbon out of the chamber. With Joe, I imagine I would be on the quarter deck a long while.

Back