Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

how do i burp air out of the cooling system?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Ranger379
middle of nowhere, PA
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
how do i burp air out of the cooling system?

im about to change the t-stat and radiator hoses, i just read that hafter u do that you gotta burp the air out of the system, how do i do that? i read that u just let it get warm then refill it then put that cap back on, does that mean u let it get warm without the cap on? maybe im just reading it wrong but thats what it sounds like, thanks for the help

2000 Ford Expedition XLT - 5.4 4x4
RIP: 1996 Ford Explorer XL 4x4 4.0 OHV 5 Speed
Ranger379 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
daveleeander
Elite Explorer
Marietta, OH
02 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, without the red cap

Fill it up. Leae the cp off. Run the engine until the t-stat opens. You can tell when it does by the flow back into the rad. will be warm. Let run like that for a minute or so. then add water (not ice water ) until full. Let it run a little bit until you're sure it is going to saty at level. Then put rad cap back on. Be sure to refill your overflow also.

Dave
daveleeander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Ranger379
middle of nowhere, PA
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ok thanks, got the old drained out and omg is it dirty, i gtg to wallyworld and buy some new, but how much does it hold, dumb question sorry but it dont say in the haynes manual and i dont have owners manual. got the new t-stat in, its a bitch getting that metal pipe back on, already dropped a screw into that little place u can get to lol....

Old 02-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
cculter
Flatrock, Michigan

'92 sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah I found that putting the pipe back on to be the biggest pain in the butt. I believe mine held 4-5 gallons? I don't really remember anyone else know for sure.

4X4 shift motor broken?http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=123542
cculter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Ranger379
middle of nowhere, PA
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
well its all done now, lower rad hose spring clamp thing self destructed itslef on the rad hose, guess thats y it was leaking, i squeezed it together and it fell apart with some of it still on the hose, i reaplaced all of them with normal clamps lol. ya its not too bad of a job, would have been alot better had it been warmer than 5 freaking degrees lol, has some issues now regaudring some crap i broke LOL should i start a new thread?

link to new thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...81#post1602681

having a problem now, i know its really cold out but after driving about 6-7 miles the engine is still rather cold, temp gauge is a hair below 1/4 and the rad cap is cold... outside temp is like 5degrees with negative windchill, is it sjust not hot yet b/c its so cold? thanks

Last edited by Ranger379; 02-07-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page