Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer Sport Trac Forums > 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Notices

2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac All questions related to the 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac model.

2004: Keyless Entry Code

Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Town Car
Lancaster, CA
2004 Sport Trac XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US 2004: Keyless Entry Code

HI guys.

One of the things I needed to do with the new XLT was find the Keyless Entry Code. With the help of 'search' on this and some other places I was able to retrieve the code in about 5 minutes. Could have been faster but I was a bit leery prying on the new XLT

Basically it's like this:
  • Pop off the Front Windshield Defroster Vent Cover.
  • From the outside of the XLT look through the windshield at the Keyless Entry Module.
  • The Factory Permanent Code is printed on a sticker, on the top of the module.

Pry up one end of the Defroster Vent Cover. Spring fasteners hold down the side towards you, interlocking tabs hold down the side towards the windshield. With your fingers under the front side, pop each fastener up, all the way across the cab. You may find the center fastener a bitch, so work from both ends.

From the outside looking in you will see the Keyless Entry Module under the Dashboard Panel. The 'engine' side of the Module has a large wire harness connected.

Because the Keyless Module is located under the Dashboard, you will have to look at the top of the module at an angle, maybe even enlist the use of a flashlight.

The five digit number is printed on the top of the module. Other stuff is printed on the labels as well, but the Code Number is the largest font there.

Last edited by Town Car; 07-18-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Renew Photo Links
Town Car is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Light ShowMaster
Lake Waccamaw
1995 and 2004 XLT's

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Car View Post
HI guys.

One of the things I needed to do with the new XLT was find the Keyless Entry Code. With the help of 'search' on this and some other places I was able to retrieve the code in about 5 minutes. Could have been faster but I was a bit leery prying on the new XLT

• From the outside of the XLT look through the windshield at the Keyless Entry Moidule.

Pry up one end of the Defroster Vent Cover. Spring fasteners hold down the side towards you, interlocking tabs hold down the side towards the windshield. With your fingers under the front side, pop each fastener up, all the way across the cab. You may find the center fastener a bitch, so work from both ends.

From the outside looking in you will see the Keyless Entry Module under the Dashboard Panel. The 'engine' side of the Module has a large wire harness connected.

Because the Keyless Module is located under the Dashboard, you will have to look at the top of the module at an angle, maybe even enlist the use of a flashlight.

The five digit number is printed on the top of the module. Other stuff is printed on the labels as well, but the Code Number is the largest font there.
I Looked at mine and the largest print is only a 4 Digit number (this works for a 04 XLT Explorer also, right? The 4 digits didnt not work 0 3 4 0
Light ShowMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
Town Car
Lancaster, CA
2004 Sport Trac XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light ShowMaster View Post
I Looked at mine and the largest print is only a 4 Digit number (this works for a 04 XLT Explorer also, right? The 4 digits didnt not work 0 3 4 0
Hi Light ShowMaster ...

The code is always five numbers; and yes the truck pictured is the Explorer Sport Trac XLT.

I've seen smaller numbers printed, and even stamped on these modules as well.
My Town Car has paint style numbers.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
adidas0068
Houston, TX
'02 Explorer Sport Loaded

Vehicle Specs

2002-2003 Explorer Sport Keyless Entry Code Location

For anyone wanting to know, the 2002 and 2003 Explorer Sport Keyless entry location is the exact same as the Sport Trac. I tore my 2002 ExSpo apart trying to find this thing. I called my uncle who has a 2003 ExSpo and told him to look in the same place to confirm (even though he bought his new and knew his code). He was able to confirm his 03 ExSpo is in the same exact spot.

Hope this helps everyone with Sports because I tore my whole passenger side back end apart looking for it under the seatbelt. I figured I might as well search for the Sport Trac location since my front end was the same, and sure enough, there it was.

I guess I should have confirmed that it is under the defrost panel by the windshield, passenger side, look in at an angle from the outside as stated in the pictures above, and a flashlight does help.

Last edited by adidas0068; 05-15-2009 at 10:33 PM.
adidas0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
egls

Vehicle Specs

Ford Sport Trac 2003 XLT keypad code

Hi

This is just to confirm this works on a 2003 Sport Trac XLT

Thanks!!
egls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Richardneal
Ohio
2004 Ford Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

2004 sport trac key pad???

I have a 2004 sport trac.
Is the code in the same place as yours?
if not do you know where i can find it? Thanks.
Richardneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Town Car
Lancaster, CA
2004 Sport Trac XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardneal View Post
I have a 2004 sport trac.
Is the code in the same place as yours?
if not do you know where i can find it? Thanks.
Yikes.. I just re-read my post and realized I hadn't mentioned Sport Trac even once.. sorry for that.

YES.. the photos and written instruction above are for Sport Trac, mine's the XLT model but I supposed that's of no importance.

GO FOR IT !!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Aldizzle13
Hayward Ca
03 explorer sport trac

Vehicle Specs

2003 xlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Car View Post
HI guys.

• From the outside of the XLT look through the windshield at the Keyless Entry Moidule.

Aldizzle13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page