aux input on 6cd changer?

galbre

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8
Hello,
Is there any way to connect to an auxiliary input on the factory 6 CD in dash changer? I don't think so because there is no button on the radio face to even select an auxiliary input but I figured I'd ask before I look into replacing the radio.

I want to hook my MP3 player to the radio. If there was an aux input I could just leave a 3.5mm jack just hanging off the front of the radio, that would be fine.
Thanks,
Gregg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure my 6CD changer has an AUX button on the top left.

But I dont know how its used...

Hi I just did my 02 last week, providing you have the 6 disc in dash changer then buy yourself the P.I.E FRDN-AUX plug it all in from behind your factory 6 disc and pick up a set of RCA's to 3.5mm cable an your good to go! it works flawlessly sounds just as you have a CD in playing I used it for my Sirius SAT radio. BTW don't worry if you start reading around and people saying it does not work with the 6 in dash cause it does you hit the "CD" button once it gives you the AUX hit it again and you get your CD. feel free to ask me any questions about it.

Here is a link: http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIEFRDNAUX?vq_id=none

This is where I ordered it from

2x
go for PIE !

Went for the PIE too - important...

Hope it's okay if I add to this older post...if not - mods feel free to remove...

There are TWO versions of the PIE adapter, depending on what type of HU you have. And the only way to find out is to remove the radio and count the connectors on the rear.

One is the aforementioned PIE FRDN-AUX and the other is PIE FRDN-AUX/S - the latter signifying the SAT function your radio may have.

Google either one and read through the fineprint - it's worth the hassle.

I found one with free shipping and free cable (a few too choose) on Ebay from 'autoware302' for sub $60.-

Cheers KGG

What series was your radio? Mine is a 815 series. Their website says it only works with an 868.

Radio Series

Hi kars85,

I actually don't know what series it is, but the back of the HU is easy to distinguish, thus the selection of the PIE is easier than it seems.

I recall is was manufactured in Sep 04 for my 05 Explorer.

Hope this helps.

KGG

Hi kars85,

I actually don't know what series it is, but the back of the HU is easy to distinguish, thus the selection of the PIE is easier than it seems.

I recall is was manufactured in Sep 04 for my 05 Explorer.

Hope this helps.

KGG

I was curious because I took mine out and discovered I don't have a 20 pin plug on the back, only a 16 that was being occupied for something.

I cannot find the online picture I used to identify, but suffice to say that my radio has three connectors on the back (plus the battery).

Two of which are connected with Ford wires - these two will be used. The third stays open from what I can see on the wiring diagram.

The adapter has shipped, once I get it installed, I'll take and post a picture.

I was curious because I took mine out and discovered I don't have a 20 pin plug on the back, only a 16 that was being occupied for something.

I think the 16pin is for Pwr, Gnd, speakers etc. The 20pin is for the steering and rear DVD. If there is a third thats for the Sub.

You're right...After taking a second look and counting again, I do have a 20 pin plug occupied with my steering wheel control wires.

Will buying the FRDN-AUX still allow me to keep that?

Took a while...

Well, my two-year olds flooded the house.. so I had a slight (!) delay in the project... anyway... I'll try to enclose is a picture of the attached PIE adapter.

The 24 pin one fit right inbetween the radio and the default cable... the second part was trickier as it fit the radio but the smaller speaker cable would not play the bass speaker. So I did not use the second PIE plug at all and left the speaker as is.

Works like a charm. CD's continue to work as well.

Cheers
KGG

Well, my two-year olds flooded the house.. so I had a slight (!) delay in the project... anyway... I'll try to enclose is a picture of the attached PIE adapter.

The 24 pin one fit right inbetween the radio and the default cable... the second part was trickier as it fit the radio but the smaller speaker cable would not play the bass speaker. So I did not use the second PIE plug at all and left the speaker as is.

Works like a charm. CD's continue to work as well.

Cheers
KGG

Allow me to ask: when you say "cds continue to work as well", does that mean your changer still works along with the AUX audio? reason I ask is because I found a place where the adapter is sold, but the website states that I would have to disconnect the changer in order to make the adapter for AUX audio to work. Is this accurate?? Below is the link to that site, and their note about disconnecting the factory changer....
http://www.installer-parts.com/by_item.php?it=frdn-aux
"NOTE: For proper operation of the FRDF-AUX, the factory CD changer, if present, will need to be disconnected from the factory harness. "

Wonder if it's worth losing the 6cd/mp3 changer for the adapter?

Mine came with the same "no CD" note, yet I have not lost any functionality. The CD changer and all CD features work as before.

With having hooked up the GPS/MP3 player (includes all my music now on a 16GB flash card), I have hardly a need for it though and even loosing the changer if it were, would not be an issue.

Cheers

Well, I'm glad to know that their comment seems to be bogus! The reason I ask about losing the CD changer is because my wife is the one that drives it most of the time. So I wouldn't want her to be without her country cds!! haha

I didn't lose my 6 disc changer in my 02'. I don't remember what harnesses we're behind the CD changer, but there was two. I just press CD twice to go between the 6 disc, and the ipod hookup.

Mine came with the same "no CD" note, yet I have not lost any functionality. The CD changer and all CD features work as before.
Cheers

i bet they are talking an external CD changers ones that would go into the center console, if there was one.

2002 Expl EB, in dash 6 cd - PIE FRDN-AUX

This model worked well for me. Just plug the PIE into the back of the stereo and the existing connection from your stereo into the connector from the PIE. Next you need to splice the power (blue/purple) cable from the PIE into a power source and run the ground to the back of the stereo. My stereo does not have an aux button so I was concerned that it would not work but as soon as everything was connected I was able to hit the "CD" button twice and it goes into a "DJ" mode which plays whatever you have plugged into the PIE.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as gertting out the stereo, just pop off the faux wood cover and there are two screw holding the stereo in, no special tools required on mine.

Back