Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Technician's Tips and Tech

Notices

Technician's Tips and Tech This forum is where professional automotive technicians or skilled automotive hobbyists can share their tech tips. Do not post your questions here! Post in the forum best suited to your topic. Questions posted in this forum will be deleted!

Ford Ranger oil filter removal warning!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
nofortunatesonII

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Ford Ranger oil filter removal warning!!!

I found out the hard way today that the starter is close to the oil filter on my '99 Ford Ranger 3.0L. I almost started the truck on fire changing my oil. This is the second time I have replaced the oil filter as I havn't been driving the vehicle too long. The first time I changed the filter I used a band type filter wrench. This time I used a different type of wrench (photo of filter and wrench below). Anyway, the oil filter wrench touched up against a hot wire and created one heck of a fireworks display which eventually led to a fire on the filter. I managed to finally remove the wrench from the filter. The arcing was so much that it burned a hole through the metal shell of the oil filter. I was very lucky the oil that spewed out did not catch fire. I pour solvent into my oil pan via the dipstick tube to help remove sludge from the bottom of the oil pan. I rock the vehicle to agitate the solvent in the pan and then drain it out. I repeat this until the solvent drains out clean. This really helps to keep my oil clean longer as it keeps the old crap from mixing with the fresh oil. I happened to have solvent in the pan at the time of the mishap. Fortunately the fire went out after removing the wrench. The whole ordeal was somewhat frightening as I thought my truck could possibly burn. I guess from now on I will disconnect my battery when doing an oil change. I sure wish this vehicle had the old style remote solenoid, this would not have happened. Ford needs to quit using dumb GM designs. It was not a fun afternoon.
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
410Fortune
ELITE BRONCO2ERER
Crawlorado

B2 Mod

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
um wow! the larger power feed on your starter is supossed to have a red plastic cover over it, is this missing from your truck?

I have never worked on the 3.0L....

Perhaps its back to the band style filter wrench?

Wifes 07 FJ build - 2007 FJ cruiser locked and lifted
Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
manaen
Clear Spring, MD
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Vehicle Specs

yeah, if the cover isn't there, I think I would get one or at least get that thing taped up, that is crazy stuff!!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
BKennedy
Elite Loser
San Diego, PRofK

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Get an wrench that fits the bottom of the filter. They make them in plastic to you don't burn yourself up.

I have never heard of putting solvent in the dip stick tube to clean out the engine. There is no way you could get it all out. Adding any chemical to oil not meant to be an additive is a bad idea.

"I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack"
Old 10-08-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

i dont htink there is a cover for the starter

when i was a tire monkey/oil changer, i worked on lots of 3.0s and that arcing happened quite a bit....

we have a 3.0 in our 98 ranger, ive done that to our ranger at least a few times myself

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
nofortunatesonII

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Brian K., almost all of the solvent comes out and the oil stays MUCH cleaner for longer. My oil still looks almost new even after 2 weeks or whatever it's been since I changed it. Even if all of the solvent does not come out it does not matter as it will mix with the oil (conventional, don't know about synthetic) and as the engine warms up it will vaporize. In the early days of aircraft and prior to multi-grade oils they would dump fuel in to the oiling system to dilute down the oil on cold days. It would mix with the oil to thin it out. As the engine warmed it would vaporize out. Having known this I was not worried about a little fuel being left in the pan. I learned this when I was going to college for avaition mechanics. If you do a search regarding the history of multi-grade oils I imagine you may find this mentioned. Thanks for the reply to my post.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
nofortunatesonII

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Brian K. I'm not sure what you are referring to. No part of the post was meant to be rude. I apologize if I worded it such that you took my comments the wrong way. No rudeness intended.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
Rocketheavy
Bozrah, CT

98 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

ahhh

I only use that wrench for removal of the old filter. the new filter is only suppose to be put on a turn over hand tight. 4.0s barely have any room for a band wrench. it sucks

98' Explorer 4.0L. grillcraft billet grille, 18" Enkei RT6 wheels, Toyo Tires, Rancho RS5000's, Flowmaster, K&N, 10% tint. Its Simple and looks great. Also my Rims are for sale. Interested? just ask! or IM me on yahoo - rocketheavy
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketheavy View Post
4.0s barely have any room for a band wrench. it sucks
this thread is actually about the 3.0s the rangers use

Old 10-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
RangerX
Elite Ranger
Omao, Kauai

'93 Ranger XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
[QUOTE=BKennedy;1753244]The first part of your post was very informative, the rest was just plain rude. QUOTE]

??? I'm not seeing any rudeness either.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

[QUOTE=RangerX;1753412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKennedy View Post
The first part of your post was very informative, the rest was just plain rude. QUOTE]

??? I'm not seeing any rudeness either.
i didnt see it at first, but i reread it, and it appears on second glance that he tried to tell bk, that he was wrong and he was a aviation mechanic and knows more than he does

Old 10-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
CougarX
Louisville, Kentucky
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I don't think thats what he was trying to imply. He was simply explaining his reasoning in doing what he does since it is not common practice and his methods were questioned.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #13
BKennedy
Elite Loser
San Diego, PRofK

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Sorry, I guess I took it wrong when reading the last two sentences. I am deleting the prior post.

"I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack"
Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
loneviking
Carson city, NV

Vehicle Specs

There is a type of filter 'wrench' that looks like a cap and fits onto the bottom of the filter. You then take a socket wrench and insert it into a hole in this cap and you can then screw the filter off. I've seen them at Walmart, so you might try that next time.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
aldive
Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Like this ....
Attached Images

My truck

My Quest for 30

RIP Al Franklin! 1947-2010. Gone but not forgotten! :(
Old 01-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #16
manaen
Clear Spring, MD
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Vehicle Specs

A better option may be to get a filter re-location kit and mount that thing on the frame rail.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #17
ftech1
kansas city area
88 bII

Vehicle Specs

The arcing actually comes in trying to get the oil filter out throught the botom, not getting it off the block, on 3.0 4x4 unscrew and remove from the top or through the fender well after taking loose the flexible splash shield pushpins.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
DonP
Explorer 99

Vehicle Specs

interesting...
Old 01-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
Stic-o
Elite Movie Star
Tujunga, CA

'99 XL 4x4 & '06 XLT 4x2

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
I would just like to say there is no reason for the most part to use a wrench. If the filter is installed correctly you should be able to unscrew it by hand (and tighten) with out leaking. I have always done this. The only tool I need when chaging oil is the wrench to remove the bolt to drain the oil.

or maybe I just don't know my own strength

See the JP Mobile Movie HERE

Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
ftech1
kansas city area
88 bII

Vehicle Specs

Good point normally, but 3.0l 12v is about the only engine that the oil filter
will leak if not tightend down with a wrench, there is even a service message on it. I have found it to be true more on taur. than ranger but it still applies.

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page