Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Door Ajar Alarm Beep Fix

Old 10-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Ranger379
middle of nowhere, PA
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Door Ajar Alarm Beep Fix

hey guys. i know i asked this question a while back, but when you have the key in any position but the OFF postion the little beeper lets you know that you door is open. this happens to drive me crazy, since i do alot of wiring and such where the key needs to be on and the door is open. no one seemed to know if there was a fuse that could be pulled or wire to be cut. well today i found it! i just thought i would let anyone know this little trick to get rid of the door ajar alarm- this does not affect the headlights on, or key in ignition alarm

-take off the drivers side kick panel adjacent to the parking brake, its easier to apply the parking brake to take it off

-there is a firm foam peice behind the kick panel, again peel this back, dont remove it complete just pull the front back a little ways, it just pops into place its not glued

- there is a blue wiring connector with like 5 wires, it is the harness that runs from the inside of the drivers door and the wires run thru that long rubber flexible hose into the cab, well just fell around for the wires and pull the connector out.

- my wire was yellow with a black stripe, you can confirm by getting your test light and with the connecter still together probe the back of the terminals in the plug and see which one has power when the door is open and does not have power when the door is closed.

- you can just simply cut this wire.
---- i opted to get a little fancy and put it on a switch, so when im doing something with the door open i just flip the switch, and other times it will still work normally.
for a switch i used a regular toggle switch and wired it in. just cut that yellow/black wire in a spot where you have enough room to splice extra wire on to run to your switch. simple as that. i mounted my switch up high out of the way on my kick panel.

i hope this helps someone, if not....i dont have that annoying ding...ding...ding.. anymore

2000 Ford Expedition XLT - 5.4 4x4
RIP: 1996 Ford Explorer XL 4x4 4.0 OHV 5 Speed
Ranger379 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
fraxinusalba
97 XLT, 99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why go to all that trouble. Just open the door and manually trip the door latch to the closed position with your fingers - inside latch 2 clicks up, outside latch 2 clicks down. Turns off dinging and interior lights. Takes about 10 seconds. Just remember to pull on one of the door handles to open the latch before closing the door.
fraxinusalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Charlie
Wisconsin
1995 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraxinusalba View Post
Why go to all that trouble. Just open the door and manually trip the door latch to the closed position with your fingers - inside latch 2 clicks up, outside latch 2 clicks down. Turns off dinging and interior lights. Takes about 10 seconds. Just remember to pull on one of the door handles to open the latch before closing the door.
Thats what I do, but sometimes I forget to pull the door handle first. One of the times I did that, the door handle didn't open it until after a few pulls. I was worried. So, you have to be careful if you do that.

1996 Sport
2000 XLT
1995 F-150
1987 F-150 XLT "The General"
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Ranger379
middle of nowhere, PA
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
i think i tried that once, didnt work, maybe i didnt click both latches or something. plus you get greasy fingers form the latches etc etc. this is a neat little wiring mod i did, no one will probably ever do this, but i like wiring stuff so thats y i did it lol.....
its actaully pretty neat, when you open your door, no lights come on, no beeping, start the engine with the door open, no beeping. just the no beeping part is the best part haha

2000 Ford Expedition XLT - 5.4 4x4
RIP: 1996 Ford Explorer XL 4x4 4.0 OHV 5 Speed
Ranger379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
metras3
Woodstock, IL
1995 Ranger XLT

Vehicle Specs

Thanks Ranger379
I just got a '95 Range that is mostly grate, Gas leak(filler neck ) fixed, Needed a key switch, (Didn't need a key) and now I know what to do with that buzzer.
I could have lived with the gas leak an no key. But that buzzer is driving me nuts! Well I didn't to be driven nuts. I could have walked there.

Anyway thank for the Yellow/black strip wire fix.

Marty
metras3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: