Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

shift drive selector indicator

Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
jwhiting
Roseville, MN
99 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
shift drive selector indicator

I have a 1999 explorer and recently the shift selector and the indicator that shows which gear you are in is not matching up. In other words when i put it in reverse it shows the vehical in Neutral and when I am in drive it shows it in 2 gear. All positions of the shift indicator are basicaly off by one in each position.
How and what should I do to fix it?
Thanks
Judd
jwhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
rwenzing
Michigan
03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There is a small thumbwheel on the steering column to adjust the indicator cable. Remove the 4 screws and the plastic trim from the column and use the thumbweel to realign the I/P indicator to the gear selected.

Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, Cadillac/Mustang SVO rear discs, Duff traction bars

Ford owners' manuals ONLINE, then click on "Glovebox"
rwenzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
jwhiting
Roseville, MN
99 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
There is a small thumbwheel on the steering column to adjust the indicator cable. Remove the 4 screws and the plastic trim from the column and use the thumbweel to realign the I/P indicator to the gear selected.
Thanks
Dose this thumb wheel use a screw driver to move or is is an actual "thumb" wheel?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
rwenzing
Michigan

Vehicle Specs

It's a genuine thumb actuated wheel - very easy to use.

Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, Cadillac/Mustang SVO rear discs, Duff traction bars

Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
jwhiting
Roseville, MN
99 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
It's a genuine thumb actuated wheel - very easy to use.
I must be dumb because I can't find it. I took off the plastic halfs arond the column but see no thub wheel.
What side is it on?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
rwenzing
Michigan

Vehicle Specs

My apologies. I was going by feeble memory and the factory manual (which is as bad as my memory on this one). So I went out and looked at my truck which is half apart right now.

The thumbwheel is screwed to the bottom of the column all right but it is farther forward on the column under the dash. To actually see it you would probably have to remove the steel knee bolster under the dash after removing the bolster's plastic trim.

If you knew in advance exactly where it is, it would not be hard to reach under the dash and find it by feel without removing the bolster. It could even be adjusted that way. However, it might be hard to do that the first time around.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
rwenzing
Michigan

Vehicle Specs

Here's a pic of the thumbwheel with the bolster removed. It's the black wheel in the white bracket, dead center.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
chickenviii
stillman valley, IL
'00 xlt 5.0

Vehicle Specs

also you might wanna check the 2 torx bolts at the end of the shift mech, wayyyyy down towards the bottom of the colum. lay on your back, put your head on the brake pedal, shine a flashlight straight up, and while you lay there looking at a big mess, wiggle the shift lever and you will see the shift cable that attaches to a flat bracket (on top of the colum the 2 bolts that hold the bracket to the rotating tube, come loose making a sloppy shifter and sometimes misalignment of the indicator. i think they are a t-35 maybe
chickenviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
sean99
Sunnyvale, California
01 Limited 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Smile

Quote:
My apologies. I was going by feeble memory and the factory manual (which is as bad as my memory on this one). So I went out and looked at my truck which is half apart right now.

The thumbwheel is screwed to the bottom of the column all right but it is farther forward on the column under the dash. To actually see it you would probably have to remove the steel knee bolster under the dash after removing the bolster's plastic trim.

If you knew in advance exactly where it is, it would not be hard to reach under the dash and find it by feel without removing the bolster. It could even be adjusted that way. However, it might be hard to do that the first time around.

You can locate the black cable by looking through the gap between the steering column and the bolster cover. The thumb wheel is located on this cable, about one inch above the visable portion of the cable. Reach up while looking though the gap and feel for the wheel. The wheel on my 99 was very easy to turn. I was able to adjust it by running my index finger across it.

This takes less than 5 minutes, and no tools are needed

Last edited by sean99; 01-16-2011 at 01:04 PM.
sean99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
rhino7
Lake Worth, FL
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

i have a 99 xlt 2wd v8. my white bracket is broken. ford wants $42 for an entire assembly replacement. my mechanic wanted $150 to fix whatever he thought it was (mentioned an aluminum tube). ignore those awful instructions that tell you to take your steering wheel off! they should've told you to look in the most obvious place first. i read on another post someone used wire ties as spacers to fix their problem, so that gave me an idea. i unhooked the tension wire, took off the broken piece of the bracket, hooked back up the tension wire using needle nose pliers (took a few tries), twisted the thumb screw into location (by looking up at the dash while pulling on the cable until it touched the other piece of the white bracket), then used a long wire tie to secure that position to a piece of metal nearby. tested it a few times, then reassembled everything i took apart just to find that thumb screw. not to mention that i broke loose that blue sensor in the ignition that beeps when your keys are inserted, so i had to use 2part epoxy and a thick rubber band wrapped around the ignition to secure it back into place... hope this helps the next person!

Last edited by rhino7; 01-15-2009 at 04:06 PM.
rhino7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
pumpkin
Elite Explorer
North Carolina

'99 Limited V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

My shift indicator decided to malfunction this past Saturday. Removing the 2 steering column covers and knee bolters revealed a broken white bracket around the thumbwheel adjuster.
I used the wire tie idea with a rolled up piece of duct tape underneath to make it thick and sturdy. However, the whole thing feels kinda flimsy and cheap. The cable almost feels like a piece of string. I'm surprised this hasn't broke sooner. Anyway, now the indicator and gear match up again.
$0 cost!!!

Took some pics:
#1 - What it should look like
#2 - What it looks like broken
#3 - My fix with the wire tie
#4 - A closer view
Attached Images

K&N Drop-in Filter
Goerlich XLERATOR High Performance Muffler
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
99xlsdude
Southern New Jersey
1999 XLS 4.0 OHV 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Pumpkin, thanks for the great pictures. Used them to "fix" my broken shift indicator bracket this afternoon. I used your duct tape then wire tie repair. Took about 45 minutes.
99xlsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
YountExplr
Chino Valley, AZ
'97 XL

Vehicle Specs

hmmm so that little white bracket thingy that holds the thumbwheel in place is broken. Its the top half of it that is closest to the copper wire in the pics is broken off of the bottom half which lets the thumbwheel go way out. Any ideas on how to patch that?
YountExplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 AM   #14
jims99
Pasadena, California
99 XLT

Vehicle Specs

this same problem was on my explorer, i just took off the white piece all together, flipped it, put it back on and maybe i was just lucky but it lined up perfectly, just a suggestion.
jims99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
pumpkin
Elite Explorer
North Carolina

'99 Limited V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xlsdude View Post
Pumpkin, thanks for the great pictures. Used them to "fix" my broken shift indicator bracket this afternoon. I used your duct tape then wire tie repair. Took about 45 minutes.
Your welcome. Pictures do come in handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims99 View Post
this same problem was on my explorer, i just took off the white piece all together, flipped it, put it back on and maybe i was just lucky but it lined up perfectly, just a suggestion.
I though about removing the broken pieces too but I was scared about losing the cable down in the tube if I unhooked it. I was too chicken to find out...

K&N Drop-in Filter
Goerlich XLERATOR High Performance Muffler
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
YountExplr
Chino Valley, AZ
'97 XL

Vehicle Specs

I pretty much had the same problem as pumpkin and I made a spacer out of the tip of a bic pen cap instead. It works pretty good and I will see how long it lasts
YountExplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
99EBEXP
Arizona, USA
99 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

My 99 Explorer developed the same problem recently.

Can anyone walk me through how to remove the knee bolster cover to get to the part to make the adjustment?

Thanks!
99EBEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
Cobraguy
Elite Explorer
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth

1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
From memory...correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Remove the two screws holding the hood cable release. There should be two (maybe three) more screws along the bottom of the panel. Remove those and the panel snaps in on top. Pull straight out. There should be a metal panel under it held on by a few bolts. Remove those. Something like a 7 or 8 mm socket. Now you can get to the adjustment wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four0sport
she is a girl, there are no answers, only more questions!
Cobraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
99EBEXP
Arizona, USA
99 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Thanks Cobraguy!

I see that you're in Phoenix, as am I. Is there any chance we could get together in the future and have you help me if I can't figure out how to do this adjustment?

I'll buy a beer / chips at Macayo's or Sullivan's if you are willing to help!
99EBEXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #20
sean99
Sunnyvale, California
01 Limited 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EBEXP View Post
My 99 Explorer developed the same problem recently.

Can anyone walk me through how to remove the knee bolster cover to get to the part to make the adjustment?

Thanks!
You can locate the black cable by looking through the gap between the steering column and the bolster cover. The thumb wheel is located on this cable, about one inch above the visable portion of this cable. Reach up while looking though the gap and feel for the wheel. The wheel on my 99 was very easy to turn. I was able to adjust it by running my index finger across it.

This takes less than 5 minutes, and no tools are needed
sean99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page