shift drive selector indicator | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shift drive selector indicator

I had the same problem, you can get a new "white thing" at OReiley's for about $10. Just in case this ever happens to you, the cable that looks like copper that attaches to the shift linkage is actually steel wire with a copper colored coating. The loop that fits around the linkage is made with a crimp fastener. Mine uncrimped itself and the indicator wouldn't work. A fix for this without replacing the cable is: Unbolt the adjuster "white thing" and pull the housing out so you can see the cable. Get yourself an insulated "blue" eyelet connector. Pull the cable out as far as it will go, (the indicator will be in PARK) and then put the cable through the eyelet. When the cable comes out on the loop end of the eyelet, take the end and put it back through the other way so that just the tip of it is at the big end of the eyelet. Now take your third hand, (it seems like it, but you can do it with only two) and with some crimping pliers crimp the snot out of the connector. I crimped mine with the non insulated setting even though it is an insulated connector. Give it a few test tugs to see if it took. The blue connector is a perfect fit over the hook on the linkage. Reinstall the "white thing" and adjust with the thumbwheel. I actually had to do mine twice. The first time I left the cable too long and didn't have enough adjustment to take up the slack. Even after cutting the cable off at the connector there was still enough left to do it a second time. Works like a chanp.

+1 on the lose upper t-30 torx bolts

Easy fix, but I would have gone crazy trying to figure that out on my own. Love this forum!

Back