• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

muzzymaniac

Reaction score
City, State
Kent, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I found there was no How-To on fuel filter replacement on this site so I thought I'd add one. I just got done with it so here it goes:

First off, this was done on my 04 Explorer 4.0l with 29k on it. I've been suffering from the shakes at idle. It seemed to happen after getting gas at Delta Sonic.

Your experience may be different depending on model and year.

Tools:

ratchet
10mm socket
13mm socket
Ford fuel tool
rags
new filter
safety glasses

Step 1:
Pull fuel pump relay #48 and start truck. Truck may run and stall or not run at all.

Block rear wheels and raise front end. Only the passenger side is really necessary. USE JACK STANDS

Locate filter. It's on the passenger side at the front/top of the fuel tank. It has a plastic cover then an aluminum heat shield over it so you won't see it.

#4 remove heat shield. Held on by 3 13mm bolts
heat shield

#5 Remove plastic cover. Held by 2 10mm bolts
Plastic cover

Now you can see the filter.

Remove the hose connections. The output side has a funky metal clip that needs to be slide towards the filter a bit then pushed up to disengage. Use the Ford tool to remove the output side hose. This goes over the filter tube and slide under the hose connection. You'll have to play with it a bit but the basic idea is to slide the tool under the fuel line connection releasing the internal spring and it'll pop apart. This is not fun since there is little room and you are on your back. The input side of the filter uses a different connector. It has a red plastic clip that needs to be undone. It's similar to the plug wire guides. I used nothing more than my hands. Once open gently push the 2 ends up to release the filter. It's kinda like a upside down U.

You know those black caps that are on the end of your new filter? They're great for capping the old filter while your working on it.

Ford Tool

#7 remove filter from bracket
Don't try pulling it out - that sucker is really in there. I used a rubber mallet to tap the filter out.

REMEMBER THIS IS A GAS FILTER - DON'T USE A REGULAR HAMMER!!! Use a block of wood if you have to.

#8 install new filter.
I put a light coating of grease on the new filter to help slide it back in. Should help with removal next time too. Make sure you have the filter in the right direction.

Filter in bracket

Reattach fuel lines. No biggie here - just reverse of removal.

Now is a good time for anti-seize on the bolts for next time.

Put the cover and heat shield back on.

Replace relay

Start truck and check for leaks.

Now here's the kicker. The truck ran beautifully! I only let it run long enough to check for leaks but there were no shakes!
Then I did what I always do to feel better about the busted knuckles and hard work I just put in - I poured the contents into a water bottle...

Damn! That's nasty! Remember I've only got 29k on my girl. How many do you have and when was the last filter change?? Go out and do it now!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's great! Very helpful, guess I need to do mine since it is original at 86K miles:eek:

Perhaps this write up w/ pics should be flagged on the web site???

Excellent thread! There is a similar one in the site's list of useful threads, but it is for older generation Explorers. Could a moderator correct the spelling of the title of this thread so that if somebody does a search it will come up?

Thanks guys. I guess I really botched the title up! LOL!!! Mods - Please help with that.

Nice Writeup! :)
I think I'll make it a sticky.
Oh and I fixed your typo. ;)

Excellent thread! There is a similar one in the site's list of useful threads, but it is for older generation Explorers. Could a moderator correct the spelling of the title of this thread so that if somebody does a search it will come up?

I didn't see one in there. Maybe one day my thread will grow up and get a membership there.

is there any substitute for the fuel filter removal tool?

Where can I get one of these filter removal tools. Should I get one at the ford dealer or can it be purchased at Autozone or somesuch?

Excellent!

Fuel Filter replacement

I just changed mine on 2002 xlt. It has three lines, one is a return line. Excellent article and pictures. Nick:salute:

Three lines

Yes it has three lines two on the passenger side one on the drivers side.:salute: Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back