Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Air bag readiness light flashing code 37

Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Glock40cal
St. Charles, Missouri
00' XLS

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Air bag readiness light flashing code 37

I have a 2000 Explorer XLS 4.0L V6 OHV 4x4 with 71,100 miles that just started flashing the Airbag readiness light at me. Sequence is 3 flashes pause 7 flashes pause then it starts over again. It does this for about a minute then the light stays on. I assume that the code is #37 but i can not find any air bag codes on the net. Anyone else have this problem?

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
rwenzing
Michigan
03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LFC 3-7 is for an improper voltage level in the side airbag on the passenger side of your Explorer. This could be caused by a short to ground or, more likely, a high resistance connection between the Restraints Control Module and the PS side airbag assembly.

Even if your truck doesn't have the optional side airbags, it still has the wiring for them and uses a yellow resistor cap to simulate the side airbag. Same story - probably a poor connection at the RCM or at the resistor cap under the passenger seat.

Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks, Cadillac/Mustang SVO rear discs, Duff traction bars

Ford owners' manuals ONLINE, then click on "Glovebox"
rwenzing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
This is a common problem on these vehicles. Try to clean the yellow connector, and see if the code goes away. It doesn't always work for everybody, but it's worth a try.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Glock40cal
St. Charles, Missouri
00' XLS

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Rwenzing and Brooklynbay thank you. When i read your post the first thought that came to my mind was that when i took my daughter out of the back seat her sippy cup had rolled under the passenger seat.

I just went out to take a look and sure enough i found a yellow wire harness connector hanging down from under the passenger side seat. Must have been a bad connection because the light does not come on anymore. Got it nice and secured and out of the way now.

Thank you both for your help. Theres no telling how much agrevation and money you saved me.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
ThePhoenix
Unregistered

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i get a lot of those codes as i am always moving passenger seat in my sport....but atleast I know what causes it
Old 11-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Thanks for the update!
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
rickpotz
Utah
2000 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Just wanted to add some information.

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport.

I also had an airbag light problem and a 3 7 code.

It was exactly what was mentioned above. A loose connection.
Both the passenger and driver seats have a yellow connector.
The passenger side connector was loose. I disconnected and then reconnected it. I also taped the connector to the bottom of the seat.

On the passenger side foot compartment, there is a kick panel which I removed. Behind the kick panel is a module and other wires. I pushed them in.

As I ran the car and tied to tighten the connection, the light stayed on but when I turned the car off and restarted the car. My airbag light went off and stayed off. I tried to tape all the wires and connections in place so that they would remain stable.

Hope this helps others that have the same problem.
rickpotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
lnfar39

Vehicle Specs

Thank you for the information..failed inspection and was so frustrated...this forum helped me and my husband figure out the problem...my husband said forums like this is so helpful to us consumers..
lnfar39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page