Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Bulldog Remote Starter Installed!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
bigapple
Baton Rouge LA
'02 XLS Touring

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Bulldog Remote Starter Installed!

i apologize for not getting pictures of the install where i spliced the wires but it was easier than i had thought... i had ordered a wiring harness to plug into the ignition harness in early november and it has been opn backorder for 3-4 months... i said screw it and just decided to check out the directions and see if i could manage... everything happened to be in the ignition harness rite there so i simply tapped into those and hooked up the necessary wires... u can see where i tapped into them in the steering column... theyre wrapped with yellow electrical tape... the first shot is of the security bypass for the PATS system so i can start from a distance... u have to put a factory key in the module to get a signal that it transmits... works like a charm... btw i already have the fusion key for lock/unlock so i simply use the new one for start/stop to prevent me from having two key fobs

i put this module behind the dash cover that is removed in this picture... it snugly fits into the hole rite there under the long black bar

Custom leveling springs from coilsprings.com, Bulldog Remote Starter, Flowmaster 40 Single with Magnaflow 3 1/2'' Chrome Tip, Custom CAI, Hunter Grille Guard, XLT bumper swap, 2 KC Fogs, 2 Small Projector Running Lights, Krylon Fusion Gloss Black Repainted Trim, LED Dome Conversions, LED Reverse Light Conversions; Silverstars: 9006, 9005, 3157/turn signals, H3 runners/Fogs (x4)
bigapple is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
asimp
Bardstown, KY
04 Limited

Vehicle Specs

What kind of distance are you getting out of it?

Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
how do u like the remote start i was thinkin of putting it on my 01 sport

Old 02-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
JCUZ
Elite Explorer
Canberra, Australia

2004 Explorer Limited V8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigapple View Post
i apologize for not getting pictures of the install where i spliced the wires but it was easier than i had thought... i had ordered a wiring harness to plug into the ignition harness in early november and it has been opn backorder for 3-4 months... i said screw it and just decided to check out the directions and see if i could manage... everything happened to be in the ignition harness rite there so i simply tapped into those and hooked up the necessary wires... u can see where i tapped into them in the steering column... theyre wrapped with yellow electrical tape... the first shot is of the security bypass for the PATS system so i can start from a distance... u have to put a factory key in the module to get a signal that it transmits... works like a charm... btw i already have the fusion key for lock/unlock so i simply use the new one for start/stop to prevent me from having two key fobs

i put this module behind the dash cover that is removed in this picture... it snugly fits into the hole rite there under the long black bar
bigapple - do you mind posting a link to the remote start wiring kit? Hopefully they do international internet/mail order.

2004 Ford Explorer UZ Limited 4.6 V8 5spd auto Pearl White, Thermo fans, 4WD (with BWM 2WD mod), 2 x Lukey sports centre mufflers and rear resonator, Roof mount DVD system, HID driving lights (high beam), Expedition Nudge Bar, Pod in a box filter, factory 17s with 265/65/17 Mickey Thompson STZs, 2" King Springs coil lift, JVC 7" screen - DVD, reverse camera & bluetooth, Garmin 5" GPS, Ford roof racks, Roof Basket
JCUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
m8r8j
ipswich, ma
02 xls, 4.0

Vehicle Specs

i have a python remote start system and i love it... i get 900 feet easily...

dont forget to turn your heat on when shutting your car off...

hehe it sucks if you start her up 20 minutes early to find that you didnt have the heat on...

m8r8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
bigapple
Baton Rouge LA
'02 XLS Touring

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimp View Post
What kind of distance are you getting out of it?
it says rated for 400ft and im guessing thats about accurate because i walked down my street (guessing about 120ish yards) and it picked up the signal just fine... this is worth it for the money if u simply want a starter with no alarm... do remember that this system is only a 1-way though so u just have to hope ur car starts cuz it wont tell u if it is (like a 2-way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sams01XplrSprt View Post
how do u like the remote start i was thinkin of putting it on my 01 sport
it is one of the most convenient things in the world... i cant even imagine when ill ever simply use the key again... i had a rental car after my incidental hit and run that had a remote start and that car alone made me want one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCUZ View Post
bigapple - do you mind posting a link to the remote start wiring kit? Hopefully they do international internet/mail order.
well unfortunately thats the piece that never arrived to me in time... i ordered the "optional t-harness" on november 3rd and it is still on backorder... they told me that the company that manufacturers them is overseas and they recently expirienced a bankruptcy and handed the company over to bulldog security so it will be a while before i get one... i was against tapping into my ignition wires because i thought for sure if i did it, something wouldnt work rite... conveniently, the ignition harness that can somewhat be seen in my photo where the yellow electrical wire is had all the wires rite there and i printed out a sheet from bulldogsecurity.com with the wiring directions for an 02 explorer that told me where to find each wire, and what color each was... i couldve also installed the lock/unlock but all i wanted was the starter... if u want to search around, the site is directwholesale.net... my starter is the starter with lock/unlock and trunk pop which is the RS 1100

if i had looked into it before, since i didnt want the lock/unlock, i shouldve ordered the starter alone which is 10 fewer dollars (used to be about 20-30 less)

if u get this, be sure to have a spare key handy and order the 20 dollar security bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8r8j View Post
i have a python remote start system and i love it... i get 900 feet easily...

dont forget to turn your heat on when shutting your car off...

hehe it sucks if you start her up 20 minutes early to find that you didnt have the heat on...
ill agree to that definitely... great to have it already warming up... im gunna have to get used to turning it on and leaving it because the rental car i had that had remote start had climate control and did it by itself... wish i had that beast in the X but hey i guess u cant have ur cake and eat it too

Custom leveling springs from coilsprings.com, Bulldog Remote Starter, Flowmaster 40 Single with Magnaflow 3 1/2'' Chrome Tip, Custom CAI, Hunter Grille Guard, XLT bumper swap, 2 KC Fogs, 2 Small Projector Running Lights, Krylon Fusion Gloss Black Repainted Trim, LED Dome Conversions, LED Reverse Light Conversions; Silverstars: 9006, 9005, 3157/turn signals, H3 runners/Fogs (x4)

Last edited by bigapple; 02-10-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Sams01XplrSprt
Southern Cali Explorer
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California

2001 Sport (sold)

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
u should post a video of u doing a remote start

Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
techieman33
Topeka, KS

00 V8 Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
does the security bypass disable pats permanently? or do you still need a pats key to start the explorer?
techieman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
bigapple
Baton Rouge LA
'02 XLS Touring

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techieman33 View Post
does the security bypass disable pats permanently? or do you still need a pats key to start the explorer?
the bypass has a key inside of it that is programmed to ur car... theres a ring that wraps around it and uses its signal... the wire goes from the bypass module to this large ring that wraps around the ignition... it basically uses the signal from the key to fool ur system into thinking there is a key in the ignition... theres no modifications to the ignition and PATS works just fine

Old 02-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
bigapple
Baton Rouge LA
'02 XLS Touring

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sams01XplrSprt View Post
u should post a video of u doing a remote start
soon to come

Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #11
cybergasm
B
Humboldt Ks

1997 Mountaineer 5.0

Vehicle Specs

How long would say it took u to install this?
cybergasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #12
bigapple
Baton Rouge LA
'02 XLS Touring

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergasm View Post
How long would say it took u to install this?
well i had a little issue before the install... i undid the steering column cover and undash panels and i realized i should probably disconnect the battery... my terminals were so corroded i couldnt get them off and had to break it... i had to run to autozone, buy new ones, and reinstall them... that took about 45mins to an hour... as for tapping into the wires, with the colors of wires from the printout from the site and the booklet that came with it explaining each wire's function, it went pretty smoothly for about an hour or hour and a half installation... i had an issue after reconnecting it to where the relays inside were clicking and nothing was working but i logged onto the site and discovered that this clicking was in program mode for my remote... i grounded a wire, pushed down on the brake, pushed a button, and BAM car started... like a charm

Old 02-11-2008, 12:59 AM   #13
m8r8j
ipswich, ma
02 xls, 4.0

Vehicle Specs

i love the remote start with the dual exhaust. its just sexy. can hear a VROOOMMmm with the push of a button.

m8r8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
Scott2008
Hudson, WI
2002 Explorer V8

Vehicle Specs

I use the Omega AL-2000edp. I get very long range... down to the end of my block, starts at the end of a parking lot from inside stores. I used to be a reseller of 12V equipt, now just a hobbiest. I really like this peice. If I were going to a best buy or circuit city, I'd go after a viper or dei 2-way. One thing about the pats units. You can use the universal integrator were you are stuck losing a key under the dash. Now however both DEI and Omega make a pats bypass module that requires no key.

The biggest issue I have run into is the factory alarm. After a while it automatically arms. Then when you use the transmitter to unlock it, the factory alarm goes off. If I remote start it (or apply ign) it automatically disarms the factory alarm. I still haven't fixed the issue, but one worth noting if you are doing a full keyless/remote start.

Nice work on the BullDog!
Scott2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
bigapple
Baton Rouge LA
'02 XLS Touring

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2008 View Post
I use the Omega AL-2000edp. I get very long range... down to the end of my block, starts at the end of a parking lot from inside stores. I used to be a reseller of 12V equipt, now just a hobbiest. I really like this peice. If I were going to a best buy or circuit city, I'd go after a viper or dei 2-way. One thing about the pats units. You can use the universal integrator were you are stuck losing a key under the dash. Now however both DEI and Omega make a pats bypass module that requires no key.

The biggest issue I have run into is the factory alarm. After a while it automatically arms. Then when you use the transmitter to unlock it, the factory alarm goes off. If I remote start it (or apply ign) it automatically disarms the factory alarm. I still haven't fixed the issue, but one worth noting if you are doing a full keyless/remote start.

Nice work on the BullDog!

haha yea mine was much more basic than that... i just wanted a simple starter; no alarm needed... i was looking for a two-way that didnt include an alarm system but that seemed to be pretty much only one way systems... this works pretty well though and im pleased with the ease of installation... thanx for the compliment

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page