Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Stuck in park

Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
menmy6cats

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Stuck in park

I have a 2004 and I can't get it out of park. I called the dealership and they couldn't tell me how to do it either or anything to check. It is backed into my driveway so I don't even know how to get it towed since they can't put it in neutral.

Anyone know of anything I can do!
menmy6cats is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Charlie
Wisconsin
1995 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Is it sitting on a hill? It might be jammed in park because of that.

1996 Sport
2000 XLT
1995 F-150
1987 F-150 XLT "The General"
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! You should hear a click when you step on the brake pedal. This click is a small solenoid which disengages the shift arm in the column as a safety precaution to prevent you from going into gear without holding the brake pedal first.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
dford
Bethesda, Md.
2003 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My 03 does this if I park it on a hill (tail pointing downhill) I had a friend "rock" the car forward and back by hand while I tried to disengage park with the engine idling and it worked. There is also an opening on the bottom of the steering column that you can insert a screwdriver into to release it when it is stuck (be careful because the car will roll away) and the procedure is described in the owner's manual.
dford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
cowboy dave
Kamloops, BC
2003 Explorer XLT 4-door

Vehicle Specs

CAN 2003 Explorer Stuck in Park

I had this happen on my 03 Explorer. It was a broken wire on the electrical connector that attaches to the brake switch. Very difficult to see. With a test light, confirm that you have 12 volts on one of the wires. If you do, short the two wires together. Check to see if you have brake lights, then start the truck to see if it solved the problem. If that worked, chances are you will need to clean or replace the brake switch. Also, there is an emergency bypass on the bottom of the steering column that you rotate counterclockwise to allow you to put a screw driver into it. With the vehicle running, and your foot on the brake, gently push a screw driver into the opening and move your shifter. At least you will be able to drive it home/to the shop. You will not have any brake lights until it's repaired. I simply spliced a new chunk of wire to the connector and am still running it. Good luck. Tracing electrical problems is the toughest part of any repair.
cowboy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
Diff Whack Daddy
And the Roll Over Posse!
Under the Hood Moderator
Mount Vernon, WA

1st Gen XLT 4dr

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Step on the brake and see if your brake lights come on. This will tell you if your brake light switch on the brake pedal is working or if the fuse is blown. The same power is used to disengage the gear selector unlock mechanism to pull it out of park.

You can also try turning key to on, don't start, and see if it will shift to neutral. If so, shift to neutral and start it, then you can go into drive or reverse. This will also tell you if it is a brake switch issue.

OHV: 1st Gen-XTREME Tow/Chase Vehicle: Banks powered F-350 SuperDuty w/ camper Commuter: 13 Ford Focus ST(33 mpg, 252hp 270fp torque) Projects: Shop building, new rear leaf desgn w/ anti-wrap bar. Kevins Big Model and list of mods
Diff Whack Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
jakedrew
wisconsin
04 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
happened to my o4. was some shifter solonoid deal.
jakedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Please note............this is a 2 1/2 year old thread............
Posted via Mobile Device
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Diff Whack Daddy
And the Roll Over Posse!
Under the Hood Moderator
Mount Vernon, WA

1st Gen XLT 4dr

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well at least he finally got his question answered.

OHV: 1st Gen-XTREME Tow/Chase Vehicle: Banks powered F-350 SuperDuty w/ camper Commuter: 13 Ford Focus ST(33 mpg, 252hp 270fp torque) Projects: Shop building, new rear leaf desgn w/ anti-wrap bar. Kevins Big Model and list of mods
Diff Whack Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
BigRondo
USMC 1371
Worcester, MA

2002 XLT V6 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff Whack Daddy View Post
Well at least he finally got his question answered.
I guess you're right!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND on 4-22-13
Don't mess with Boston. They will drop everything, hunt you down, and then go on like you never existed once they are done cleaning up the mess.
BigRondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
rokr1292
richardsville va
'01 Explorer Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Bringing back an old thread again. Are thes procedures the same/similar to what they would be for a 2001 sport trac? Im stuck in park and I just replaced the brake switch, and im confused.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
sick50ford
nORcAL
02 xlt, 02 mounty

Vehicle Specs

bumpers!

this just happened to my wife and i had to rescue her from the market.

thanks for the help!
sick50ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
sideorder007
Seattle, WA
2003 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

I had the same problem. Thought it was due to the Parking Prawl after parking on incline, but after reading some similar issues on the web I found out it was a very simple solution. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer underneath the steering column you will see a small cover that will rotate and allow you too stick a narrow flat head screw driver through the opening. First turn the key to accessories "Don't start the car". Then push the screw driver into the slot. Then take car out of park and select Neutral then start the car. By pushing the screw driver into the slot your just pushing an override switch so no need to jam the screw driver up there hard. Hope this solved the issue. Now drive your vehicle to Ford and have switch replaced.

Last edited by sideorder007; 09-04-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling
sideorder007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #14
lazaruslonge
Raleigh, NC
2000 Explorer (XLS)

Vehicle Specs

Same thing has just happened to my 2000 Explorer XLS. No incline, wheel isn't locked, brake lights come on just peachy when I depress the brake pedal.

I'll be checking the solenoid tomorrow, and will have to look for the 'bypass' under the steering column as well.

My workaround might work for other folks, figured I'd post it.

1. Key in the ignition
2. Foot on brake
3. Keep your foot on the brake!
4. While turning the key to 'Start' (engine turning over at this point) use your other hand to move the column shifter into gear (neutral would be great, but I usually stopped at reverse - hence the "keep your foot on the brake!".

Moving the shifter while the engine is turning over seems to bypass that solenoid / locking mechanism.

~Cheers~
lazaruslonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
lazaruslonge
Raleigh, NC
2000 Explorer (XLS)

Vehicle Specs

Roll

Quick follow up:

Can't find the 'release' under the steering column, but I did figure out that if you turn the key and stop 1 click before "ACC" (the accessory 'on' setting which is just before *CRANK*) you can put the car in neutral.

I probably shoulda figured that out before
Old 10-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
jwh1056
northwales pa
00mount. limited premier

Vehicle Specs

My truck has this same issue, I have't had a chance to dig in to it yet did any one get a solution yet.
jwh1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
sideorder007
Seattle, WA
2003 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

I had the same problem but if your 2004 is the same as my 2003 all you need to do is. look directly underneath your steering column and you will see a slide away cover. slide it over and place a small screwdriver in the hole. Push up slightly and if I remember correctly you should be able to move the shifter to neutral and then start the car. Or it was vise versa you can start the care now in the parked position and then move gear selector. Don't force anything as this should release the stop and let you move the gear selector easily.
sideorder007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #18
lazaruslonge
Raleigh, NC
2000 Explorer (XLS)

Vehicle Specs

Replaced the #9 fuse (Brake Pedal Position Switch) and the problem was resolved.

I had another problem, however, which I didn't believe to be related - my blower motor (heater / AC fan) wasn't coming on. After I fixed the shifter issue, I removed the blower motor (after taking out all the other stuff that one has to remove to get to it) and the blower motor itself tested out fine when hooked up to 12v. Since the fuses and relay all looked fine, I decided to replace the resistor. That did the trick, so I put it all back together. Tested again, didn't work.

What?

Took it all back apart, put the old resistor block in, and....

It worked fine.... Put everything back together - still worked fine! Yay, right?

No. Shifter was stuck in park again. But hey, the blower motor was working, and I had places to be, so went back to shifting into Neutral prior to cranking the car for a few days.

Next chance I got, I replace the #9 fuse again.... Car shifts fine again.... and the blower motor doesn't work. Again.

I'm guess I have a short somewhere?

Really, really frustrating.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
reepeet
2002 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideorder007 View Post
I had the same problem. Thought it was due to the Parking Prawl after parking on incline, but after reading some similar issues on the web I found out it was a very simple solution. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer underneath the steering column you will see a small cover that will rotate and allow you too stick a narrow flat head screw driver through the opening. First turn the key to accessories "Don't start the car". Then push the screw driver into the slot. Then take car out of park and select Neutral then start the car. By pushing the screw driver into the slot your just pushing an override switch so no need to jam the screw driver up there hard. Hope this solved the issue. Now drive your vehicle to Ford and have switch replaced.
No just drive to GM dealer-----lol
reepeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page