Any recommendation for an aftermarket DRL kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any recommendation for an aftermarket DRL kit?

Does anyone here have any experience with aftermarket DRL kits? The Ford kit is $60 or so, a universal kit from Advance Auto Parts is $100. :eek: Even the parts guy suggested looking elsewhere for that!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I've also found the Sav-A-Life kit, and O'Reilly supposedly can order a "Street Scene" kit. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them, I don't want something that's going to burn up in a few weeks...

If you really want DRL's you can hook them up yourself. I myself hate them cause it means you will end up buying more bulbs for the vehicle cause they are constantly on. AND if you can't see a truck/car/van/etc. driving towards you (not you yourself, but people in general) than maybe you should stay off the road or start paying attention to the road and not everything else [end rant]. Just use a relay triggered off the ign. or acc. wires in the column. This was a really quick diagram, if you need a better one just tell me.
drls.jpg

Cheapest DRL kit is called your hand...just turn the lights on every time you start your vehicle. I've been doing it with every vehicle I own for the last 25+ years.

Cheapest DRL kit is called your hand...just turn the lights on every time you start your vehicle. I've been doing it with every vehicle I own for the last 25+ years.

that too. lol.

if u already have fogs lights, just turn those on when its day... if not, then get the stock fogs for ur car and wire up a switch with the relay as stated above^... thats what i did

Just do the fog light relay mod and leave the fog lights switch on and the fogs will be on whenever the veh. is on.

I'm tired of constantly running the dash lights.

if u already have fogs lights, just turn those on when its day... if not, then get the stock fogs for ur car and wire up a switch with the relay as stated above^... thats what i did

That's the thing, my Explorer didn't come with the fog lights, or the wiring and harnesses for them. It also didn't come with the DRL plug for the stock DRL module, so the universal kit has to be used.

Kind of a pickle, really...:confused:

That's the thing, my Explorer didn't come with the fog lights, or the wiring and harnesses for them. It also didn't come with the DRL plug for the stock DRL module, so the universal kit has to be used.

universal kit doesn't have to be used, like I said. Fuse, wire, relay, female spade connectors, and you'r all set. Couple bucks tops.

i agree with the dude above^... mine didnt come with stock fog lights either... i had buy them and wire them up to an extra switch... as long as u use 9145s (which are shaped like regular 9005s and 9006s) u can wire them up like ordinary auxilary fog lights... just use a regular switch, 15-30 amp fuse, and relay if u want (probably safer with a relay)... if u want a wire diagram i can make u one cuz its quite simple... (lowest green switch)

2456765_35_full.jpg

I'm not going to worry about adding fog lights for next few years or so. I'm kinda short on dough right now, and I really need to be saving up for the move around the end of the year. I also don't know if my parents are going to give me the Explorer officially when I (finally) move out, so I'm not spending too much money on it at this point in time.

I do like DRL though because drivers around here are a bit goofy. I've been turning the headlights on 24/7 since 2007 and I can tell you it reduces the number of stupid moves people make. Just the other day I decided to give the dash lights a rest, and almost got ran into when making a turn in Hammond. This was in broad daylight.

I thought of just wiring up a relay but I would prefer the DRL kit, which dims the lights slightly and turns them off when the parking brake is set.

I'm not going to worry about adding fog lights for next few years or so. I'm kinda short on dough right now, and I really need to be saving up for the move around the end of the year. I also don't know if my parents are going to give me the Explorer officially when I (finally) move out, so I'm not spending too much money on it at this point in time.

I do like DRL though because drivers around here are a bit goofy. I've been turning the headlights on 24/7 since 2007 and I can tell you it reduces the number of stupid moves people make. Just the other day I decided to give the dash lights a rest, and almost got ran into when making a turn in Hammond. This was in broad daylight.

I thought of just wiring up a relay but I would prefer the DRL kit, which dims the lights slightly and turns them off when the parking brake is set.

woahhhh didnt notice u just said hammond... im in Baton Rouge... what part of new orleans do u live in?

you could get some LEDS and drill them into the housing then tie them into the ignition on and it will look like your headlights are on, or you could do with with any of the housings

woahhhh didnt notice u just said hammond... im in Baton Rouge... what part of new orleans do u live in?

Mandeville :thumbdwn: (If you could really call it New Orleans, nobody else would know where the hell that **** place is, though. I'm originally from Harvey.)

I think I'll just go with the Ford kit, it's cheaper, and I think the last time I talked to the dealer around here he actually had one. Whether he still does or not, is another question...

If you really want DRL's you can hook them up yourself. I myself hate them cause it means you will end up buying more bulbs for the vehicle cause they are constantly on. AND if you can't see a truck/car/van/etc. driving towards you (not you yourself, but people in general) than maybe you should stay off the road or start paying attention to the road and not everything else [end rant]. Just use a relay triggered off the ign. or acc. wires in the column. This was a really quick diagram, if you need a better one just tell me.
drls.jpg

Is the wire for the 'on' position on the column always green/purple? I've got an '05 if that makes a difference, and my mechanic friends and I could not figure out last night an easy place to grab switched power like that without dropping the under-dash fuse box. So, we have everything wired for the regular fog lights, and the wiring in place for the DRLs... just need to connect the sense wire to something that'll give me switched power, and I'm good to go.

Easy place under the hood to tie into switched power is the windshield wiper wires on the firewall by the w/s motor.
Use a test light to determine which wire is the switched power wire & splice away....

Is the wire for the 'on' position on the column always green/purple? I've got an '05 if that makes a difference, and my mechanic friends and I could not figure out last night an easy place to grab switched power like that without dropping the under-dash fuse box. So, we have everything wired for the regular fog lights, and the wiring in place for the DRLs... just need to connect the sense wire to something that'll give me switched power, and I'm good to go.

In an 05 Explorer Ignition is red/lt. green and accessory is Dark green/Light green. In the ignition harness.

BTW, I get my info from directtechs.com but you need a dealer log in. Just so people don't think I'm just searching randomly on websites and getting info from random people or guessing, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill Kemp said:
Easy place under the hood to tie into switched power is the windshield wiper wires on the firewall by the w/s motor.
Use a test light to determine which wire is the switched power wire & splice away....

Ah, so there's actually 3 wires going to the wiper motor? 12v whenever the key is on, the wire from the MFS, and a ground? That makes it a LOT easier.

Thank you for looking up the colors, though, oplitic.

Back