Ford 9" Disk Brake Conversion

CodePoet

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Well, since 8.8 brakes won't bolt onto a 78 bb 9" (even though they are "torrino" style flanges the bolt pattern is different). I started working on a custom swap. All in all it's comming in at less than 100 bucks too :D The mock up should be finsihed tomorrow. I am using .25" PVC sheets for the mock up brackets. Once I get everything the way I want i'll have the final brackets cut out of steel. The PVC is VERY nice to work with. Easy to cut and shape, I used my dremel and a rasp for everything. What I really like though is that it's sturdy enough to bolt everything onto so you can check clearances and the overall fit very easily :thumbsup:

Parts:
1) Oldsmobile Bravada Calipers (i beleive it was a late 90's early/mid 2000 model i pulled them off of)
2) 1990 Suzuki Samurai Front Rotors
3) Custom bracket

Pics:
DSC005241.JPG

Since I am using grade 8 bolts instead of the pressed in studs I do have to knock a corner of the bolt head off so that they will be nice and flush with the bracket. Also, not show, is a couple of .25" spacers that move the bracket out just enough so that the caliper assembly will fit properly.
DSC005251.JPG

For Future Reference:
rearflange.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice engineering Code! I did a similar conversion on my '87 5.0. Turbo coupe rotors, Caddi calipers, home-made brackets. Used a master cylinder out of a late model Ford sedan with 4 wheel disks. What a difference in braking... Keep posting the pics!

Wow I'm loving the use of the PVC for prototyping -- and the use of the Samurai rotor :)

Wow I'm loving the use of the PVC for prototyping -- and the use of the Samurai rotor :)

My father mailed it too me. He's a tool and die maker/engineer and I believe that they use the it for their prototyping. I love being able to have a mock up bracket that parts can actually be bolted to. SOOOO much better than cardboard :cool:

And the sami rotor fits perfectly, no need to grind down the flange at all :D

Nice engineering Code! I did a similar conversion on my '87 5.0. Turbo coupe rotors, Caddi calipers, home-made brackets. Used a master cylinder out of a late model Ford sedan with 4 wheel disks. What a difference in braking... Keep posting the pics!

I wanted to use caddy calipers but I couldn't find them at the pull a part. I only need a parking brake for the occasional trail repair. Instead of a mechanical brake I believe that a front and rear line lock are in my near future.

Ok, got everything mocked up. My mock up brackets are made and will be sent to my father to have milled out of steel. Pics are worth a thousand words.

My original bracket had some "issues". So I made a new one
DSC005291.JPG

Caliper and pad bracket mounted to the axle
DSC005301.JPG

DSC005311.JPG

I may have to grind down the lip of the pad bracket a bit to keep it from scrapping against the wheel (it's barely touching right now)
DSC005321.JPG

Inside of wheel
DSC00533.JPG

Clearance between wheel and caliper
DSC00535.JPG

The amount the caliper sticks out from the wheel.
DSC00536.JPG

Looking good, are you intending on leaving a bit more "meat" around the caliper mounting bolt holes? Couldn't hurt.

What are your plans for a master cylinder?

There is no room for extra material at the flange mount portion. The caliper part is being obscured abit by the washers but I may have alittle extra put in. Not sure on the MC yet, I can adjust the stock one but if that doesn't work I have a box of master cylinders sitting on a shelf and maybe one of them will work. If not then a MC out of a full size something.

On your second to last pic, the left bolt was the one I was talking about. Seems a bit thin to the left of that bolt hole.

Your thread makes me want to rear disk my ex.

On your second to last pic, the left bolt was the one I was talking about. Seems a bit thin to the left of that bolt hole.

Your thread makes me want to rear disk my ex.

I would agree. I'll have abit more material left on that side. I need to make a good detailed diagram for my father so it'll be easy to note that.

The explorer would be (if you still have an 8.8) super easy. Just get the disk setup off a 2nd gen and bolt it on. Wish I could have done that haha

That would be the smart way to do it. I wonder if I'll need the MC off of the 2nd gen?

I'm sure there's a thread if I searched. I'm too busy to start another project right now.

Should finish one or two before I start another one... so my wife tries to tell me anyway.

That would be the smart way to do it. I wonder if I'll need the MC off of the 2nd gen?

I'm sure there's a thread if I searched. I'm too busy to start another project right now.

Should finish one or two before I start another one... so my wife tries to tell me anyway.

I wish we still had this drop down on the explorerforum page but it's only on the old explorer4x4 page. Anyways here's how to swap a set of 2nd gen disks onto a 1st gen. Included is how to adjust the MC, i'm going to TRY to do the same thing to mine for these :D

http://www.explorer4x4.com/discswap.html

I adjusted the MC on my conversion. Then adjust it again because my brakes were dragging. Moral is to not try to get it too close. Allow for some expansion. I was driving the car hard and all of a sudden they started to drag quite badly.

Thanks for the link. I will probably keep an eye out for a 2nd gen rear. At worst it can hang out in my garage until I get the chance. Those darn Heep guys seem to grab them up so fast though.:D

I never did update this thread. Thought i'd kill some time before doing the dishes. I have finished the swap and i'm really happy with it. I haven't been able to test it yet (rest of the brakes need plumbed) but it looks good, and it's all bolt on :)

Don't have many pictures but here's what I got.

The complete "kit"
DSC00701.JPG

I did have to grind the pad bracket back some to clear my wheel. Not going to effect the function though.
DSC00726.JPG

This is good info. I'm doing a small bearing conversion , drums to mid. 90's Explorer disc.. It appears I'll need a centric adaptor to center the rotor on the axle. Any ideas as to where to get this adaptor? Also, any other parts I may need to complete the swap. I believe the vender is shipping most all I need, except the adaptors.
Hope you guys have some ideas !!!

okay, post Moab, I get to play with rear disc mounting brackets and calipers.

SO, did you by chance try to mount the 8.8 calipers on the 9"?

Cause I happen to have a set laying around and just ripped a caliper off my rear end!

Back