Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement?

pookapa

Reaction score
City, State
Granby, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
Check engine light went on, on my 97 xlt. the scan said a transmission speed sensor, auto zone only had a vehicle speed sensor, so I changed that as well since it was only $17, but the old sensor tested good. Anybody change a transmission speed sensor, I googled it and found it here http://www.carpartswholesale.com/products/?make_t=ford&pn=transmission_speed_sensor&ci=A1165930884W457eb1843f043&kw=Ford+Transmission+Speed+Sensor+-+Motorcraft+Transmission+Speed+Sensor not really sure how to change it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need some more information... Are we talking about a 2wd or a 4x4, and are we dealing with the OSS sensor on the trans (or transfer case of a 4x4)? They didn't sell you the rear axle speed sensor for the rear diff, did they?

-Joe

the check engine code would probably also help out...

got it scanned again after check engine light came back on, i got the code P0715 "input/turbine speed sensor circuit malfunction" from reading i hear the sensor is cheap (around $20) but the only way to change it is to dissasemble the tranny. anybody know how expensive this fix is?

well after recently having my tranny "rebuilt", I would say its $400 - $500 to "R and R" (remove and re-install) plus whatever benchwork they need to get at the "thing". Of course, they (tranny guys) will probably want to get you for more... since they are in there anyway... :) Good luck.

Back