• Register Today It's free!

Replacing a 4.0 with a 302?

Fazer

Reaction score
City, State
Keyser, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT Limited
I was wondering how hard it would be to put a 302 with an automatic in my '02 XLT? I'm sure it's probably been done and I was wondering how hard it is to get things to bolt up and what kind of transfer case to use and any other modifications? I think it'd be a nice swap....any suggestions?

Thanks!:cool:

Whats up man, thats a shame your Limited didnt come with a V8 motor,,, Keyser, W.V. huh? Mineral county?, Ive been round' the way, I like that little old part of town with the smoke shop, last time I was there they were working on that part of town (on the roads),, I hope you can do your swap, it should be easy<, You should get a good H.O. or built 302, stroked or somthing if you do this,

By the time you got it done, not only would you have killed the value of the vehicle, you could have probably bought one with a 4.6L V8 already installed.

You have to look at the big picture when you consider a swap such as you are thinking about...It's not going to be as easy as you think. All your electronics, etc. are going to be different, and even the tranny is going to be different. One of two possible scenarios is going to take place...It's either going to cost a king's fortune to do if it's done right, or it's going to be a cobbled mess.

If you are serious about putting in a new engine, I would recommend building it first:D A few people have done it with 2nd gens, and they mount up fine, but it needs the different tranny. Not sure if anybody has tried it in a 3rd gen yet, though.

Back