Cruise Control switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control switch

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
The activation switch ( steering wheel drivers side control ) is falling apart on my truck. The other side switch is in perfect condition.

Anyone else have problems with theirs?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3,393
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3,150
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,871

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had to rewire or ad lib a few of the electrical circuits on my truck. I checked my local junkyards website for a steering wheel and found one for under $9.00.

My suggestion would be to replace the steering wheel in your truck.

Cost in parts $9.00 plus tax.

Being able to do it yourself ............ Priceless!

Keep up the good work Aldive.

You are an inspiration to us all. (or at least all of us who visit Explorerforum) I bow down before you.

I wasn't asking about replacing the switch, just if this issue has plagued anyone else.

When I replace it, it will be with new Ford parts.

I have the same problem on my new 99 x

Jeez Al, when some one says "Hit the cruise control." they are speaking figuratively.
:rolleyes:

I have never seen such damage. Let me ask you this ?
Do you park in the sun?
Do you use a sun shade?

Just looking at it it looks dry and brittle.

I had the same problem, but on both of mine.
Maybe its the Florida sun.
The switches are $70 each from Ford, or they were a year ago.
I scored a brand new steering wheel with switches on ebay for $80.

Jeez Al, when some one says "Hit the cruise control." they are speaking figuratively.
:rolleyes:

I have never seen such damage. Let me ask you this ?
Do you park in the sun?
Do you use a sun shade?

Just looking at it it looks dry and brittle.

Kevin, yes I park in the sun, always have since day 1. This is the only damaged part.

Not brittle, actually soft and "gooie".

I wouldn't exactly say the other side is in "perfect" conditon. It appears to already have some wear marks so it might only be a matter of time before you have the same issue. If it were me, I would replace both sides at the same time.

Common problem :(

Yes this is a common issue with these buttons, not only do they get melted in the sun, but they have absolutely NO support about halfway down the on button, so every time you press it it breaks a little more. I had the same issue with my '01 Sport, so I got some new ones. Check out my post! (here)
I got my buttons (don't worry, ford OEM) from Amazon.com (yeah, I was shocked that they have auto parts too...)

there are 2 versions, luckily you can use the "make sure it fits" gadget to tell the difference

check it out!
Here
and
Here

and by the way the buttons listed here are made with a different material that DOESN'T melt :)

Installation of the new buttons is a 10-15 minute job after the battery is unplugged, and it's a super easy 9-step process.
1. unplug the battery and wait 15 minutes
2. remove the plastic covers on the left and right side of the steering wheel using a very small flathead screwdriver
3. remove the screws (i think they are either a 7mm or 8mm)
4. pull out the airbag pad and remove the plug from the top of it
5. unscrew the buttons (might as well replace both of them)

here you can either do #6a or #6b
6a. use a flathead screwdriver and remove the wiring plugs from the 2 buttons (they are super-glued in)
6b. remove the buttons and wiring from the steering wheel and use the new wiring that comes with the buttons (this is a pain in the butt)

7. screw in the new buttons and plug them in (don't forget the ground if you used step 6b)
8. screw the airbag horn back on (remember the little plug on the top!)
9. re-connect the battery and get really angry that your stereo forgot all your pre-sets

Hope this helps!!

Kevin, yes I park in the sun, always have since day 1. This is the only damaged part.

Not brittle, actually soft and "gooie".

well then.
My thought process was flawed.

Either way. Never seen it before.

Good news is this repair is well with in your ability.
Knowing you though you will figure out a way to get an extra .5 MPG out of the swap.

Might need to cut your finger nails? ;)

Mine's a little loose, but nothing like that, lol

New switch(s) ordered; replacement to commence soon.

I completed this same replacement on Monday. I only replaced the left side switch, not the harness and right side. The whole job took about thirty minutes including the battery waiting time. If I had been able to determine the part number I could have bought the MotoCraft part online for less than half what the dealer charged. But that is not the problem. Now the horn beeps when I go over any kind of bump in the road, and the horn is very touchy. If I barely press the horn/airbag, the horn beeps. Anybody had an experience like this?

UPDATE Nov 11: I loosened the two screws holding the airbag, easily moved the airbag upwards (towards the driver, retightened the screws, and FIXED.

Interesting post.

I have to replace mine as well. They look like new, but there is no "clicking" anymore, the feeling of any button being pressed. I don't know what the previous owner did to them, sat with his fat butt on them while driving?

I have to press any of them real hard before there is any action. In addition, the right one's illumination is out.

Am currently shopping for replacements, and then do the swap.

Greetings!

You can get the part for $90+ at the dealer or else go to amazon and get motorcraft part SW-5919 for lots less. Make sure you wait a while after disconnecting the battery before removing the airbag.

MRRxxx,

Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in spending $90 or whatever they cost, haven't checked with my dealer yet (there are sometimes, well, rarely cheaper than you think).

But for $43.66, heck, sold!

THANKS A LOT! You saved me not only money, but also possible headaches about a used part not working properly.

Yes, the airbag thing. I red about it in the manual. I'm planing on disconnecting the battery the night before (and leave the light switch on or similar), then work on it the next morning.

And if done proper, we know that there is a certain procedure after connecting the battery in order to reprogram and "relearn" the idle.

Greetings!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back