Od/intermediate servo install dilema! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Od/intermediate servo install dilema!

bodiea

Reaction score
City, State
Temple,Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
:feedback:

Ok guys I hope I post this correctly and in the right place. I have been doing most of my normal post in the Transmission area. I have a 2000 XLS 4WD that has the common O/D light flashing issue. I did a valve body rebuild and still have the issue. So I read a few thousand more post and found one about possible failures in the Intermediate and O/D servos. So I ordered two new servos and covers to replace mine with. I have gotten the servos out. But the delima is I cannot get them to go back in far enough to get the snap ring that holds the covers back on.

I cannot get them to compress or go into the bore far enough the get the snap rings back in. I'm thinking the end piece that hits the band (dont know what its called) may have slipped down? Is that possible? And if so is there a way to get it back into position? Can I drop the pan and see this piece from below and work it back up and into place if it dropped? Page 51 of the pdf link. Also attached a somewhat blurry pic of the servo bore.

Dead Link Removed

Attachments

• 100_1321.JPG
    100_1321.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,176

Had the link wrong

Redid the link it wasn't working. Sorry.

You could use a welding Vice Grip C clamp to push the servo with the cover back into the bore, then reinstall the snap ring. Rotunda makes a special tool just for this purpose, but the Vice Grip also works.

Back