• Register Today It's free!

Advice on O Ring servo install

Bobarama

Reaction score
City, State
PONCE INLET
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
05 XLT 4.0, 2WD, 122K miles. Trans slow to engage D or R gears. 1-2 flare, OD light blinks and wrench lights up after the trans warms up, throws TAC code.
I changed the filter, fluid, installed a cooler and installed a rebuilt solenoid pack to no avail.
I'm waiting for my o-ring servo kit, lube, pliers and band adjusting socket to arrive and then I'm going to install them this week.
Other than filter and fluid changes I've never been into an automatic transmission before.
Does anyone have any advice for me on doing this job? Possibly some encouraging success stories?
I have read a lot of the threads on the site about it and it doesn't seem too terrible, just tedious.

I would get the codes before doing anything else, if you do have TCC codes thats a completely different repair form the servo issues.

Also delay into forward or reverse has nothing to do with the intermediate or overdrive servos either, it might be time for a complete overhaul of the transmission.

I would get the codes before doing anything else, if you do have TCC codes thats a completely different repair form the servo issues.

Also delay into forward or reverse has nothing to do with the intermediate or overdrive servos either, it might be time for a complete overhaul of the transmission.
Thanks for the response.

I'm getting TAC code which I have read can be caused by a mismatch between engine speed and reported speed from the transmission. At least that's the way I understand it. Maybe I'm wrong. That's the only code that sets.

The transmission pan was significantly cleaner than others I have seen in the past, so I don't think that it's chewing itself up. Most of my prior experience has been with general motors transmissions, maybe the Ford is a very different animal I really don't know.

For $300 I'm willing to roll the dice on the servos and if that doesn't do it then I'll be headed down the rebuild road as you said.

Any tips tricks or advice from someone who has actually replaced the servos with the o-ring type would be greatly appreciated.

Servo install under way.
No way I can do this on jack stands without clearing the way first.
So...
Heat shields off. Exhaust loose. Pulled the bolts on the cross member and lowered the transmission till the driveshaft hit the rear cross support. I may remove it as well.

I'd like to talk to the engineer that buried the right upper rear cross member bolt up against the gas tank making it virtually impossible to access. He owes me for an hour of labor.

At least I can get eyes on the servo caps now. It's 85 in the shade, time for a little break.

Back