1990 Ranger
Hi all.
I am new here. Just stumbled on this site by accident. Looks very
interesting.
Was wondering if anyone can tell me the proper cold crank size of a
battery for a 90 Ford Ranger V6
A shop sold me an interstate 540 c.c. battery. Truck seems to be
struggling to start always.
Sometimes have to turn off all lights and heater to get it to start.
The shop said that is the proper cc battery for that model. They
checked the trucks electrical system and all is ok.
Was thinking unless it is a bad battery is it too small?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...That sounds appropriately sized for your Ranger...I usually get higher amp batteries as a rule (700-900 CCA)...

...It is wise to start the vehicle with all those items you mentioned in the off position but not totally necessary...You may be having other issues as in corroded cables inside the sheathing which is typicle for these vehicles...I hope this helps..:D

The O.E. size for both the 2.9L and 4.0L V-6 was a 540CCA battery.

Thanks guys, their computer did said the 540 was the right one. Got confused
because a couple other shops said they would not put in one less than 700
in that vehicle.
Guess the end result is they will put in another 540 in case the first one
was defective.
My old battery died instantly and that was that. Right up till then it always
turned over better than this new one.
That corroded cable business might be something to look in to.
again thanks
Have to get my son on this...

...Do you happen to know the size of the old battery they took out???...You may be able to ask them to upsize your battery if your not happy for a minimal charge of course...Being happy later will pay off...;)

No, I don't know the size of the old battery, was a rush job that day, to
get it done and not miss too much work. Believe me I am ''kicking myself''
now for not paying attention!!:mad:
If the second battery does the same thing they said they would upgrade
to a bigger one. So we will see how it goes.

In my experience, you can always up-size the stock battery as long as the physical size is the same. Keep in mind that to get more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) the plates in the battery are thinner and more fragile. Not usually a concern unless you plan on some 4-wheeling with some bone-jarring bumps and jumps and then, even the best battery won't last very long.

Wow, dang that is a small battery. I can see how it would have a hard time. The stock battery on my explorer is almost twice that, 1100 cca.

I would upsize anyways, a little extra juice sometimes could be the difference between starting and not.

Hello

Its a group 65 and get the biggest cca that you can aford. Exide in the states make the stock ford battery. Look for an Exide distributor (all over BC). Exide sells world wide so its warranty is world wide. Or goto CDN tire and ask for there biggest group 65. (exide battery CDN tire label).

All I run with is Exide or CDN Tire/Parts source

Just my 2 cents.

igiveup

battery

I'm a battery guy so here goes... The standard battery for the 1990 Ford Ranger V/6 is a group 58 battery with the OEM cranking of 540 CCA. There is an optional group 65 for a HD or super cab V/6 with a 650 OEM CCA. Going with a higher CCA valued battery like 700 CCA or 800 CCA value is not always the proper way to go because 1) it can sometimes mask another problem like a corroded connection or a sluggish starter for a while and 2) the alternator could work harder in the event the battery becomes discharged. It is important to ensure that any possible connection within the starting-charging system is investigated and resolved.

It would be best to:
1. Check the new battery as well as the battery’s state of charge level. If it is low, investigate why.
2. Have the vehicle charging system rechecked.
3. Check the voltage drop of the battery/starting cables.
hope this helps.

Back