Powertanks | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powertanks

and if u r runing co2 u know about runing a spout to the botom to get more uses out of it so instead of using liquid it makes the liquid turn into air

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If anyone is interested, here's the URL for a "Propane-to-Air kit" that provides an adapter for your propane (for a gas grille) tank's valve. Like Alec mentioned, there may not be enough storage capacity in these tanks to fill up many tires, though.

Talco Specialties

Heres some pics of my new "powertank" that ive rigged up. My dad got me the tank from work, its a 20lber, also got it hydro tested, and filled up.... all i did was convert it to accept the air hose and what not. I still need to paint it.... Cant decide between Silver, or Black, thats why i have the tape on there... LOL

Heres the pics...

ill add pics in a few it messed up

Heres the pics....

Attachments

• IM000069 (Small).jpg
    IM000069 (Small).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 302
  • IM000070 (Small).jpg
    IM000070 (Small).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 307
  • IM000071 (Small).jpg
    IM000071 (Small).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 317

im thinking of using two of the trucker air brake resivoirs.... those things are 5 gals each and small. they come fit with regulators and you can run a compressor into it as a backup should you run out of CO2.

Unless you are in a climate that is not hot, I would not use a scuba tank.
Scuba tanks hold about 3000 pounds of pressurized air. If it ever got dammaged, it could blow your truck up. I know many people who do use them, but I would not, and I do have scuba tanks. I know Al uses them, but he doesn't live in the desert, and is not bumping them around all over a trail either. Also many dive shops will not fill your scuba tank if you are not a certified diver and have a cert card.
The pressure in a Powerone 10lb tank is only 300 lbs, and it does have a saftey valve, should the tank pressure start to increase.
You would not be able to fill a scuba tank at a gas station up very much and the pump wouldn't be able to pressurize enough volumn into it.
I would not get anything smaller than a 10lb tank. A 5lb tank is ok, but only if you are the only person using it.

yes very true, the co2 tanks have a burst disk, which i think at 3000lbs it starts to blow it off so it doesnt explode, i was told by my dad, that it wouldnt ve unusual for it to burst on a hot day if its in the sun alot.... Which wouldnt be a problem for me, ide just get it refilled......

I would use a tank meant for co2 and co2 only for making a home brewed co2 setup

PS: also got me a bracket today..... :D

Don't even bother filling a tank at a gas station (or home compressor) with 100 psi of air (if you're lucky). You'll be lucky to fill one tire even with a 5 gal tank. Just think about how many gallons a tire holds.

As for compressed air (scuba) or Nitrogen vs. C02. C02 is much safer as Ray pointed out. If you bust the regulator off of a C02 tank it will be something like a fire extinguisher going off, as it takes time to phase change from liquid to air, and has a starting pressure of only 300psi. If you were to bust off a regulator of a 3000 psi air/nitrogen tank, good luck to you.

I have used a 10 lb Powertank ever since I tried filling a 33 with a standard 12v air compressor, and killed the compressor on the first tire. (3+ years ago) It is great. $10-15 to refill at a welding supply shop. I've used it to fill up my 35's and my brothers 33's (both from ~12 psi to 30 psi) on 4 occasions (so thats 32 tires total) before needing a refill. I've reseat many beads on the trail (mostly others tires). I've used it to run air tools (1/2" impact, die grinder). Heck, I mounted all 5 of my new 35" MT/R's onto my rims the other day with it. My brother has now installed a York OBA setup so it is now our backup OBA system. I mounted it vertically in the back, so it never even comes out of its mount to use.

Now, I have had it blow the pressure seal before. Got if filled one day when it was 50 F outside, and then parked it with windows up, and it hit 70 F by afternoon. I got into my truck to get a tool from the back and noticed a funny odor (or lack of). I just about blacked out before getting out of the truck as the truck was filled with CO2. As I was getting out I noticed that the tank was covered in ice (like it does when it gets used quickly). Took it back to the supply shop and they mentioned that they probably overfilled it, and it is not normal for it to do that, even under extreme temp changes. They refilled it for free. The biggest thing I learned from that is that when the pressure relief bursts, it lets the tank empty and needs to be replaced. I figured it'd just let off pressure until it reached a safe level.

I have also heard that the lack of oxygen is better for the tire, but nitrogen would be just as good for that. C02 does not have any moisture in it like compressed air does.

Either way you go you have to use a tank designed for the purpose you're using it for. IE, you would not be able to get a scuba tank and have it filled with CO2.

sorry for the long post. . .can you tell I like my Powertank yet? :D

XplorerKid said:
yes very true, the co2 tanks have a burst disk, which i think at 3000lbs it starts to blow it off so it doesnt explode, i was told by my dad, that it wouldnt ve unusual for it to burst on a hot day if its in the sun alot.... Which wouldnt be a problem for me, ide just get it refilled......

Scuba cylinders have burst discs in the valves. These discs are replaced every 5 years during a hydro inspection. The commonly used 3000psig cylinder’s burst disc is designed to fail ( burst ) at 4200psig.

Scuba tanks are out in the hot sun in Florida as well as all the other hot spots of the world on dive boats every day. It is rare for a burst disc to let go, but it can and does happen. That’s when you fill your shorts.

If the burst disc lets go, its not a simple matter of refilling the cylinder; you have to replace the burst disc assembly in the valve and then refill.

aldive said:
Scuba cylinders have burst discs in the valves. These discs are replaced every 5 years during a hydro inspection. The commonly used 3000psig cylinder’s burst disc is designed to fail ( burst ) at 4200psig.

Scuba tanks are out in the hot sun in Florida as well as all the other hot spots of the world on dive boats every day. It is rare for a burst disc to let go, but it can and does happen. That’s when you fill your shorts.

If the burst disc lets go, its not a simple matter of refilling the cylinder; you have to replace the burst disc assembly in the valve and then refill.

Didnt know Scubas had burst disc till i asked him, after i had made my earlier post, And i know once the disc burst it has to be replaced, but thats not a problem, they can do it when they refill it.....

XplorerKid said:
, but thats not a problem, they can do it when they refill it.....

Its a real big problem when out on the boat or in the woods and you need air.

aldive said:
Its a real big problem when out on the boat or in the woods and you need air.

i understand that, but thats nothing we can controll, so why worry?

mader it soudn liek its a big deal to replace the disc, when it really isnt, if at the tiem they are filling.....

Your not goign to be able to fill it on the side of the trail or in the boat... so to me its not a big problem, thats why you have a backup plan, like someone else having a Compressor, or you having one of your own. Which i still plan on converting my A/C compressor to an Air Compressor, this was jsut alot quicker, and easier, and cheaper at the moment....

I like that color, what is it?

XplorerKid, thats the same type of C02 rig I have been using for about 5+ years now, works great, only problems I have had with it is the tank w/ reg getting knocked over in my shop when it wasnt in my truck and bending one of the gauges up (real pita), and the regulator almost freezing up if you use it alot, what mounting cradle are you using with yours? (ratchet strap here untill I get something better)

Back