Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Modified 1995-2001 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1995-2001 Explorers Questions related to modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and 2002+ Sports (2dr). Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, torsion twist, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Rt Turn signal light buzzing istead of blink

Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
go4par
Auburn,Washington
'96 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Unhappy Rt Turn signal light buzzing istead of blink

Hi every one,
my 96 Ford Explorer right turn signal light buzzing instead of blinking but left side works normal. I checked rt front and rear turn signal light bulbs and they all looked OK.
I replaced turn signal relay(flasher) from auto part store but still have same problem.(of course it's not returnable)
Can any one tell me what's the next step could be?
go4par is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Dan Whitaker
One fast putty tat
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)

No Mounty no more.

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Your MFS (multi function switch) is bad. AKA your turn signal switch.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
AMMO_HOOAH
Spokane, Wa

1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Sounds more like a relay to me, the click is the sound of the relay moving. A buzzing instead sounds like it isn't doing what is should. I'd start there anyway, just swap one side for the other if it doesn't change then it's some where else.

Next......gears (4.56), lockers (Aussie), coilovers..... Aw heck SAS it! 79 F-150 axles in the barn
AMMO_HOOAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
parad1mg
La Mirada, CA
'97 Mounty 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

mine does the same thing too when its cold although it rarely does it.. along side of that my wipers do occasionally stop in the middle of the windshield..

i've already swapped and replaced the wiper relays but havent touched the relay for the turn signal..

go4par, post your result if ever you decide to replace your multifunction stalk..

Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

blue 02 xlt & white 02xls

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Whitaker View Post
Your MFS (multi function switch) is bad. AKA your turn signal switch.
Yup, mine was doing the same thing, got a new one for like 25dlls and changed it myself in ~20 min

jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
dogfriend
Human-Animal Hybrid
Carmichael, CA

'97 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
MFS. Mine used to do the same thing. Buzz on left turn, no buzz on right turn (or was it the other way?, I forget because I replaced it years ago).

Some people report smoke coming out. That's a bad thing. Maybe you want to replace it before it gets that bad, or maybe you like living on the edge. Your call.
dogfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
go4par
Auburn,Washington
'96 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Dan,Dog friend,jad2411 and others,
Thanks you very much guys.
i replaced MFS(multi function swith) this morning and working fine.
It took me about 40 min to remove and replace first time and cost me less than $60 include tax on local parts store.
go4par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
CrazyAlaskan
Wasilla, Alaska
1994 Explorer Limited 4wd

Vehicle Specs

I had the same problum but it turned out to be a short in the steering column for me, the wire would touch when i dropped the steering wheel down.looks like you got your fixed already though
CrazyAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Tom T.
Tempe, AZ
'96 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

1996 Explorer flasher relay buzzing noise, inoperable windows.

Hi Everyone,

Just replaced my flasher relay switch due to signals not operating. Now, the signals work but I'm getting an intermittent yet steady buzzing noise from the new flasher relay and to boot, my power windows are not working now either. Would this also be an MFS problem? Thanks in advance for your help!
Tom T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
luvtoretire
Victor, NY
'05 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Turn Signal "growling at me"....

I have a 2005 Explorer which has served me well so far. Recently, while using my turn signal indicator, I notice if I accidently move it forward ever so slightly while using it to indicate a right turn, it "growls" at me. It is VERY sensitive. About 50% of the time, while indicating a right turn, it works fine but, as I said, if it moves ever so slightly forward while I lift the handle, it will make a buzzing or growling sound and the signal will not work. I think it is the multifunction switch, which everyone seems to reference. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? THANKS.
luvtoretire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
jad2411
I'm a jackass!
El Paso, TX

blue 02 xlt & white 02xls

Vehicle Specs

when I removed mine I was able to visually tell that it was damaged so you might start by removing it and inspecting it. Mine looked burnt and some plastic parts a bit melted. To this day the new one still works

jad2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
luvtoretire
Victor, NY
'05 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

turn signal noise.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2411 View Post
when I removed mine I was able to visually tell that it was damaged so you might start by removing it and inspecting it. Mine looked burnt and some plastic parts a bit melted. To this day the new one still works
Thanks for the info. I assume you mean the multifunction module, not the flasher module. I tried to access the flasher module but Ford, in their emminent wisdom, opted to make this darn near inaccessible for a novice like me. I also moved the steering wheel down and it seems to work better now. I am wondering if I have a slightly pinched wire in the column which may be the root cause of all of this. Again, thanks for your response and suggestions.
luvtoretire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
majerusmusic
Lynnwood,Wa.
95 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAlaskan View Post
I had the same problum but it turned out to be a short in the steering column for me, the wire would touch when i dropped the steering wheel down.looks like you got your fixed already though
Thanks Crazy, I was looking to see what the problem could be and saw your post. I remembered adjusting my steering wheel on an extended trip the other day and bingo, that's it. Even if I turn the signal on and then adjust the steering wheel it stops working and starts buzzing.
majerusmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page