CSM Module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CSM Module

stevenrob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Have had trouble with remotes and keyless entry not working on our 2002 Ford Explorer. We decided to replace the "RAP" module after attempting many other things. However, the dealer calls it a Central Security Module. The directions on this forum are pretty explicit. However, the directions with the part claim to need to have the "Dealer" program the unit from the old unit before we install it. Need help. Can't find any other help anywhere. The dealer is NO help. Anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the information. This is where I got the idea we needed to replace the rap module. My main concern is that the new part that we bought, states that we need to have it "programed" from my old rap module by the dealer before we take it out and replace it. I think that the instructions for this part are incorrect. The new part comes with a new card and code. The link you posted also concerns me that it doesn't state if it is applicable for a 2002 Explorer.

RAP was used until 2001, in 2002, the system was redesigned and the CSM was used.
98-2001:
The remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module controls the keyless entry, and
computer operated locks systems.

2002 to current:
Central Security Module
The central security module controls the following features:
^ remote keyless entry system
^ computer-operated lock system
^ perimeter anti-theft system
The perimeter anti-theft system consists of the following:
^ driver door disarm switch
^ central security module
^ keyless entry remote transmitter
^ door ajar switches
^ liftgate ajar switch
^ liftgate glass ajar switch
^ hood ajar switch

Stevenrob - did this fix your issue? I'm having the same problem with my 2002 explorer. Did you replace the module without having to have the dealer program it?

RAP was used until 2001, in 2002, the system was redesigned and the CSM was used.
98-2001:
The remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module controls the keyless entry, and
computer operated locks systems.

2002 to current:
Central Security Module
The central security module controls the following features:
^ remote keyless entry system
^ computer-operated lock system
^ perimeter anti-theft system
The perimeter anti-theft system consists of the following:
^ driver door disarm switch
^ central security module
^ keyless entry remote transmitter
^ door ajar switches
^ liftgate ajar switch
^ liftgate glass ajar switch
^ hood ajar switch

Confirming that, at least with respect to my June 2002-built Explorer XLS, "CSM" is listed as an "optional module," whereas "RAP" is not. This from a dealer scan of all modules.

Back