2002 Ford Explorer 4X4 low won't engage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer 4X4 low won't engage

BlakestaExpo

Reaction score
City, State
Nassua, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' XLT
Hello all, ive used this website many times so solve previous problems with my ford explorer, unfortunately i could not find an answer to this issue.

My truck will not engage into 4x4 low. The 4X4 high works perfectly, i use it from time to time in the snow for a bit extra traction and such, however now as a beach adventure is up and coming i ran through the check list and when it came to 4x4 low, i was stopped in my tracks. The last time i used 4x4 low was when i put the truck on some ramps to change the oil and then after i took it down i had a slightly hard time getting it to disengage, i had to put it in neutral and rev it a few times and then it clicked out.

Basically this is what happens now.

I press the brake, move it into neutral, press 4x4 low, and the LED on the 4x4 low button blinks a few times for approximately 15 second and then shuts off, no light on the dash ever illuminates. Ive read else wear that people were having issues with the 4x4 control module, but i find it weird that the 4x4 high works perfect, but not the 4x4 low so i cant seeing it be that.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sometimes i have to press and release the brake while its in Neutral and the 4x4 Lo light is blinking for it to go into 4x4 Lo. lemme know if what i said works if not I may have some other theories. I've taken my stock V-8 on beaches before and didn't have to use lo high got the job done but i get where your coming from if one thing isn't working right something else might not be working right

Last edited:

have you solved your 4x4 Lo problem? I just bought a 2002 XLS. It has the same problem as you described. Please let me know what you did to solve, parts, cost of repair, etc...

Yes, replaced the 4x4 control modual, ordered it from www.RockAuto.com

not sure of the part number, but its located behind the glove box, bull the old one out to check.

Simple to replace, just 2 bolts and plugging in harnesses, part cost somewhere between 150-200, cant remember now.

Goodluck,
Blake F

Thanks. I was reading other threads. This seems to be a common problem. I will look into it.

Cheers

Back