Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Offroad Tech Forums > Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects > Offroad Drivelines

Notices

Offroad Drivelines Ford Explorer and Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, Driveshafts and Axles.

2002 Ford Explorer 4X4 low won't engage

Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
BlakestaExpo
Nassua, NY
02' XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Exclamation 2002 Ford Explorer 4X4 low won't engage

Hello all, ive used this website many times so solve previous problems with my ford explorer, unfortunately i could not find an answer to this issue.

My truck will not engage into 4x4 low. The 4X4 high works perfectly, i use it from time to time in the snow for a bit extra traction and such, however now as a beach adventure is up and coming i ran through the check list and when it came to 4x4 low, i was stopped in my tracks. The last time i used 4x4 low was when i put the truck on some ramps to change the oil and then after i took it down i had a slightly hard time getting it to disengage, i had to put it in neutral and rev it a few times and then it clicked out.

Basically this is what happens now.

I press the brake, move it into neutral, press 4x4 low, and the LED on the 4x4 low button blinks a few times for approximately 15 second and then shuts off, no light on the dash ever illuminates. Ive read else wear that people were having issues with the 4x4 control module, but i find it weird that the 4x4 high works perfect, but not the 4x4 low so i cant seeing it be that.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
BlakestaExpo is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
02oxfordwhitev8
Ridgefield CT

Explorer 02 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sometimes i have to press and release the brake while its in Neutral and the 4x4 Lo light is blinking for it to go into 4x4 Lo. lemme know if what i said works if not I may have some other theories. I've taken my stock V-8 on beaches before and didn't have to use lo high got the job done but i get where your coming from if one thing isn't working right something else might not be working right

Last edited by 02oxfordwhitev8; 04-15-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: did not read the post compeletly
02oxfordwhitev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
wferzali
Burlington, MA
2002 XLS

Vehicle Specs

have you solved your 4x4 Lo problem? I just bought a 2002 XLS. It has the same problem as you described. Please let me know what you did to solve, parts, cost of repair, etc...
wferzali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
BlakestaExpo
Nassua, NY
02' XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Yes, replaced the 4x4 control modual, ordered it from www.RockAuto.com

not sure of the part number, but its located behind the glove box, bull the old one out to check.

Simple to replace, just 2 bolts and plugging in harnesses, part cost somewhere between 150-200, cant remember now.

Goodluck,
Blake F
BlakestaExpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
wferzali
Burlington, MA
2002 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Thanks. I was reading other threads. This seems to be a common problem. I will look into it.

Cheers
wferzali is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page