• Register Today It's free!

A4LD to FM145 Swap possible?

Shen2187

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
Does anyone know if the "Mitsubi 5 Speed" out of a B2 would bolt up to a '91 X 4.0 OHV with the "A4LD"? I've searched for hours and have not found really much of anything about the particular swap or if it's even possible without super "adapterness".

Was planning on taking the Trans + Xfer case and doing the swap. Should be only about .4" of length difference between the two transmissions, if the info I DID find was correct.

I've also got to check and see if it has a D35 instead of the D28 (so I can steal the manual hubs) But I doubt it since it's Pre- '89.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you could bolt a FM145 to a 4.0 but it will die quickly and it is a few inches shorter than the A4LD. Look for an M5OD.

It's weaker than the A4LD then? Sucky. They have all kinds of fords out there that are basically open season, I'll see what else they have. So a Ranger or Navajo should have the M5OD?

Explorer will also have an M5OD if it has a manaul transmission.

I believe the M5OD has an integral (nonremovable) bellhousing. So, especially when taking it from a Ranger, you want to make sure you know what engine was in that Ranger. You can use an M5OD from behind a 2.9 or a 4.0 L engine, but not from a 4 banger or a 3.0. from the information I've seen, the M5OD wasn't put behind the cologne V6's consistently until '90/'91. before that, you have mostly the Mitsubishi or the TK trannies.

Yeah it's not a big deal right now but I know my tranny is going. I would rather have a manual so I'll just do a swap instead of rebuilding the A4LD. I get bored when driving an automatic. Especially on long trips.

Back