2003 Explorer ABS Light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer ABS Light on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brakes seem fine but i do notice that the back rotors are worn down pretty good. Have been told it could be a bad rear sensor but I am not sure where it is.

x2 on getting the code read. there are about 14 sensors, most common failure are the Master Cyl switch (if you have one), rear ABS sensor and fronts bearings are next, ABS module . . . There are some good post on this too. Codes will be the sure method of finding out what wrong.

Got underneath to find ABS sensor and see that my rear differential is leaking, looks like it is a bad seal. Pulled plug to make sure I had some fluid left and some metal shavings came out. Am taking it in to the shop to have ABS sensor checked out and I was wondering if the metal shavings could possibly have something to do with the ABS light on. Also am I in big trouble with the metal shavings being present or do I just need to put new fluid in? Not hearing any sounds or anything while driving. I had my rear differential repaired about 2 years ago.

pulled the plug and fluid came out, we were on an even surface. There was plenty of fluid, it looks like it was overfilled and there was some metal shavings in the fluid that came out, but not big chunks. It was fine metal shavings. We didn't open it up to take a look, just put plug back in.

Back