ABS Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light

TidePride50

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03
I've got a 2003 XLT and my ABS light on the dash will periodically come on. It may come on and then not show back up for another month or two. I have recently changed the brake pads on the front and rear, but the light was coming on sometimes even before then. Anyone got any ideas? Im guessing maybe the ABS sensor? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems a few of us have replaced the Rear ABS sensor. Although you can hook it up and see if there are any codes saying exactly what failed, this may only be at the dealer. When mine failed it was under warr.

After a little more research. have a couple more questions:
Where is the speed sensor for the ABS located at? How hard is it to get to and change if needed? Thanks!

There should be two in front next to the brakes, look for a tone ring, Gear looking thingy between teh CV joint and the Hub Wire coing out of a sensor.
There is only one for the rear on top of the Diff i believe.

Take it somewhere to scan the codes. The scanner will tell you which sensor is bad or if there some other problem.

My ABS light comes on once in awhile for only a few minutes at a time. I hooked up a friend's scanner at work today since I had a few minutes to screw around. It told me my right front sensor is missing its signal. Didn't have time to look for the actual problem though since the shop was busy and I was in the way. Should be easy to fix now that I know where to look.

Back