Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

1998 Explorer 4X4 found this in transmission pan how do I remove & replace it?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
mrstubb
fORT sMITH, aRKANSAS
1998 eXPLORER 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question 1998 Explorer 4X4 found this in transmission pan how do I remove & replace it?

Transmission in 1998 Explorer 4X4 went out. I bought another from salvage yard. When I dropped the pan I found this:

Transmission shop looked at it & said it was a bearing. I still have the original transmission. How do I remove the part from it and put it into new transmission?
mrstubb is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
pdmustgt
Ranger

Vehicle Specs

I would take it back to the junkyard have them get you another one. Thing is have no idea which thrust bearing is would be. You have to take it apart in tell found which thrust bearing is bad. But theres going to be more hard parts thats going to be bad too. To spit out a bearing I don't think you want to see what else is bad.
The only way you going to fix it will be using both trans to make one good trans hopefully. Take the trans back and save you a headache
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Welcome to this forum! I agree that it's not worth rebuilding one that you just bought. You could rebuild your existing one, and forget about getting another one from the junk yard. A junk yard transmission is a gamble since you don't know why it was there in the first place.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Junkyard trannies are often exactly where they belong"
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
mrstubb
fORT sMITH, aRKANSAS
1998 eXPLORER 4X4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It was actually out of an Explorer that someone had pawned to them but didn't come get (the salvage yard owner also owns a pawn shop) so I didn't think it would have anything wrong with it. BOY WAS I WRONG!! But the salvage yard won't take it back. I only had a 5 day guarantee, but couldn't start working on it until the weekend...which was the 6th day. So the only thing we figured we could do was take the 2 & make 1. But we can't afford to pay a shop $1500 (that's the cheapest we've found around here!) We'll just have to do it ourselves. Do you know where I might find ANY info to help? I've been looking for instructions, specs, component location details, and diagrams. I would GREATLY appreciate any help and/or suggestions.

Last edited by mrstubb; 03-28-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added sentence
mrstubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=126647
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
1998 explorer 4x4 transmission, remove part from transmission, transmission problem, transmission rebuild

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page