• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer 4x4

kymadan

Reaction score
City, State
Eustis, Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
'87 4x4 Ranger
I have one with no tranny, it originally had the 4x4 5R55E. I need to find a replacement but I do not know what else I can get the tranny from.

I was told (by the dealership) I can only get it from a 1998 4x4 Explorer with the 5R55E and a 4.0 OHV engine.

I was also told (by a transmission shop) I could probably get a 4x4 transmission from a 1997 to 1999 Explorer or Mountaineer with 4.0 OHV or SOHC.

Basically what I need to know is if there is a 5R55E from other year Explorers, or Mountaineers that will fit without (or with minimal) wiring mods?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got one from a 98 I beleive in mine, there was an extra sensor opening which I just took a sensor off the old one, put some form a gasket glue stuff on it and crammed it into the hole. All the wiring was the same. OHV and SOHC have the same bolt patterns I'm pretty sure so either will work.

But since you had an extra hole in the 98, if I was to use a 97 tranny I would be 1 hole short.

I got an $800 price tag for a used tranny twice. I did find one that is $400, but it has 124,000 miles on it. But I called 23 places, I only found 3 places that could get one.

This is what I keep getting told by junkyards.

"You can only use the 4x4 tranny from a 1998 Explorer with a 5R55E behind a 4.0 with the OHV engine. The wiring is different on the others."

I dunno for sure if you need that sensor or not. The guy I got the trans from thought it was from a 98. Just get a manual and put that in, better gas milage and stronger. I dunno what one runs but I can't imagine much more then $800.

Well yesterday I did get a call back from the dealership. The parts manager advised me that he did find out that a 98 and 99 4x4 5R55E explorer transmissions have identical part numbers.

Back