Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

How does one remove the rear wiper arm?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Brandon96
Central Virginia
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
How does one remove the rear wiper arm?

Thats probably the most stupid question you've read all year, but I've been repainting the wiper arms, wiper cowls and roof rack on my explorer tonight because they're severely faded and chipping...

I get around to the rear wiper arm, and I thoouught there would just be a little tab I press in and it would glide right off, I'm so wrong arn't I? I see a little tab at the base of the arm, and I stuck my key in there and pulled it back, then tried to slide the wiper off the mount, but it don't budge...

I looked through here, nothing helped me, any help?
Brandon96 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There is a one bolt holding it to the motor. You need to flip up a plastic cover to get at it. The cover seems pretty tight, but it will flip off (hinged) with a bit of effort. Don't forgoet to unplug the hose.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I didnt even waste my time to read that, nor will I, however I read some of it.
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Craigslist Scams for Dummies, Don't Be a Wannabe.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
RickMar
N. Andover Massachusetts
99 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Once you loosen and remove the retaining nut your almost done.
Grip around the arm in the area where the retainer nut was...the arm is engaged over a fine toothed splined end-shaft there.

Pull with a little presssure as straight as you can toward you ...you might also need to use a little rocking motion too while pulling. You just have to work the arm off the sline shaft and your done.
I hope this helps.
Rick
RickMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
MNgopher
Lakeville, MN
'07 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

My 97 Wiper Arm removal didn't require undoing any retaining nuts or bolts. Press the tab in at the base, and slide it off. I had to use PB blaster on mine to get it to slide off - it wasn't budging before I did that.
MNgopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
celly
disturber of the peace
calgary

99 eb 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNgopher View Post
My 97 Wiper Arm removal didn't require undoing any retaining nuts or bolts. Press the tab in at the base, and slide it off. I had to use PB blaster on mine to get it to slide off - it wasn't budging before I did that.
My bad, I forgot they redesigned the ass end of the Exploder in '98 (I've got a '99). The rear wiper setup is different in the 95-97 part of the 2nd gen.

SCT XC2 w/Henson tunes, Flo Pro catback, EE swaybar & airdam, Morimoto HID projector retrofit (4300K), Bilstein shocks, Powdercoating by Turdle, Amsoil everywhere, other stuff.
Quote:
I didnt even waste my time to read that, nor will I, however I read some of it.
I, I, I, Me! Me! Me!,
Craigslist Scams for Dummies, Don't Be a Wannabe.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Brandon96
Central Virginia
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Haha Celly, I spent about 45 minutes last night staring at the wiper arm going, "Where is this plastic cap? I'll pull here.. nope.. ok how about here.. nope." It kept me entertained needless to say..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNgopher View Post

I have a picture of the clip I beleive your speaking of, supposedly you just pull back on it and theoretically it should slip off right? this thing will nooot come off!!

Am I right? I just want to make sure i'm doing nothign wrong.. I understand wiper motors/arms are really expensive
Old 05-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
RickOTR
1997 Explorer Sport 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon96 View Post
Haha Celly, I spent about 45 minutes last night staring at the wiper arm going, "Where is this plastic cap? I'll pull here.. nope.. ok how about here.. nope." It kept me entertained needless to say..

I have a picture of the clip I beleive your speaking of, supposedly you just pull back on it and theoretically it should slip off right? this thing will nooot come off!!

Am I right? I just want to make sure i'm doing nothign wrong.. I understand wiper motors/arms are really expensive

You see that little tag next to the wiper arm bolt, take a small flat bladded screw driver and pull it forward (towards the wiper blade) then with a large flat bladded screw driver carefully pry it of the bolt. It may be a little difficult to get off, especially if it's been on there for a while, but it will come off just like the front ones.

2006 Ford GT:
2007 Lincoln MKX
2013 Cadillac ATS
RickOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Brandon96
Central Virginia
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOTR View Post
You see that little tag next to the wiper arm bolt, take a small flat bladded screw driver and pull it forward (towards the wiper blade) then with a large flat bladded screw driver carefully pry it of the bolt. It may be a little difficult to get off, especially if it's been on there for a while, but it will come off just like the front ones.
ahh screw driver trick = WIN!, Thanks RickOTR!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
NJMike
Somerville, NJ

'97 Mountaineer 5.0L AWD

Vehicle Specs

Stubborn wiper arm

I've also found they can be hard to pull off even with the clip pulled out of the way. One way I figured out was to use a body panel removal tool. It fits perfectly between the arm and the body and around the shaft. A little downward pressure and the arm slides right off.

NJMike

97 5.0L AWD Mounty; K&N CAI; custom Flowmaster 40 series catback;
NJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
97sprt4x4
Jerz
06 Mazda3 GT

Vehicle Specs

My suggestion to you, is spray it with pb blaster/WD40 and beat it with something, then pull... it'll eventually come off... if they've never been off like mine, they take some persuasion, possibly a BFH

ZAPV 19 - 97 sport 4x4

Mug Shot! - Other Pics
97sprt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Brandon96
Central Virginia
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I got it off thanks to Rick's screw driver trick.. hahah

I did paint everything that I needed to, you can check it out HERE if your bored..

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
arm, rear, removal, wiper

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page