Rear wiper arm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wiper arm

Bapster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all, I am trying to remove the rear wiper arm on my 95 explorer but not having any luck. I searched on here and all I could find is about some of them having a plastic cap with a nut underneith it, mine however does not have such plastic cap, all metal. there was a tiny tab thing that you see when you lift the arm up, I tried to lightly pull on that (like the front ones have) and it broke off. I want to replace the arm with a new one...how do I get that thing off? thanks for any help in advance :)

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that thing that broke off is the arm's retaining clip. when in working condition you lift it away from the arm and that allows the arm to pull off. i guess with age and rust it was stuck and broke off. try spraying the remains of the clip with some penetrant and try to get it to move by pushing at it from the other side with a flat blade screw driver and maybe a hammer.

that thing that broke off is the arm's retaining clip. when in working condition you lift it away from the arm and that allows the arm to pull off. i guess with age and rust it was stuck and broke off. try spraying the remains of the clip with some penetrant and try to get it to move by pushing at it from the other side with a flat blade screw driver and maybe a hammer.

I can't even see any part of where the clip broke off from, cuz I looked with the idea of taking a flat blade screw driver to it...not sure what to try to carefully pry on now :(

I can't even see any part of where the clip broke off from, cuz I looked with the idea of taking a flat blade screw driver to it...not sure what to try to carefully pry on now :(

try looking at your front wipers. they should be held on there the same way. all of my rear wipers (2000 & 2001's) are held on with a nut under the plastic cover, so i don't know what else to tell you.

try looking at your front wipers. they should be held on there the same way. all of my rear wipers (2000 & 2001's) are held on with a nut under the plastic cover, so i don't know what else to tell you.

that's what I read on other posts when searching, about having a plastic cap with a nut underneath it, but mine is all metal. my front wiper arms have a pull tab where you can use a flat blade screwdriver between the tab and the base of the arm. The tab thing that I broke off, was pointed towards the window so you couldn't use a flat blade screwdriver the same way on it. Thank you for the suggestions tho, I appreciate it...will get the mechanic at my work to break it off tomorrow and put the new one on when it gets delivered on wednesday.

Back