thegaffney

Reaction score
City, State
Kingman, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
New guy - Fiberglass Stereo Project

Hello there,

This is my first time posting on here, I just recently got given a blue 2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 in exchange for writing a software program for a company, whooo, anyways, while im waiting to save some money for some lift spindles i got bored and designed this fiberglass speaker box for the back, the dimensions are exact to the inch, and the pictures below i designed in a 3D modeling program last night at work.

This will be the third fiberglass box ive built when I do it, below also is the pics of my first one in a corolla i had

:)

Here is a render of the final look, im modeling the parts right now (such as just the box and the ports etc, to you'll have a better idea on whats underneath.

final1.jpg

this is an OLD pic, of coarse it wasnt done

4304090157_medium.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great. I have only have built 1 glass box. It looked good, but not that good. Want to see the finished real product.

ha, thanks

yeah usually i just make them as im going, with out planing it out like this, but i was trying to think of angles and shapes that would work in the back and i remembered i had this program so i played around with it for a bit till i got this,

its really helpfull because it pretty accuratly matches how the fabric will stretch, i think im going to actuall start the box part of it when i get off work in the morning so ill post some picture of that progress

what program did you use for the renders?

Looks like a very nice start. The renderings look like it will be a sealed box but after seeing the first part of the mdf box, it appears you decided on a ported box. Have you decided on what sub-woofers you are going to put in there?

Looks like a very nice start. The renderings look like it will be a sealed box but after seeing the first part of the mdf box, it appears you decided on a ported box. Have you decided on what sub-woofers you are going to put in there?

Thanks, yeah the rendering have the port, its that section of wood that comes from the hole in the wip picture, then goes down and opens again at the bottom of the box, ill show you in a bit im making that part of it right now

I got some Fosgate he2s right now used from a friend, then I bought a MB Quart amp, and eventuall going to get the matching MB Quart subs to replace them, the top center one will be a 8" and the bottom will be a component speaker

net volume and tuning???

net volume and tuning???

Its pretty much tuned perfectly for the speakers i have in it,

Its roughly 2ft volume, with a 1.5 x 12 in port, tuned to 28htz from everything ive read would make the port 22inches long, which is it :) whooo, ill get the pictures of port finished in a few minutes im eating dinner haha

here whats done for the day im oft to bed, tomorrow ill get the rings for the speaker all put in their place

and theres the ridiculously long amp with the box i currently have in the truck next to it

boxwip3.jpg

boxwip4.jpg

Heres the speaker mounts, mounted..., umm i still dont know what speaker i want for the component so i havent made that yet, plus im tired...

boxwip5.jpg

boxwip6.jpg

Nice is the fiberglass still gonna flare over onto the whell wells?

Well the outer part you will see will be a fiberglass shell molded from the fiberglass part of the box, then with the extra flare, the box wouldnt fit in the truck if i built it with it going all the way to each edge, plus that would be way too much airspace,

it will be double the work but it will be nice to have it removeable, and easier to get it painted when it gets that time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back