Tbars4 needs a 91 A/C wiring diagram. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars4 needs a 91 A/C wiring diagram.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Since I've had the X I have never fixed the AC other than replacing an oring...I replaced that when I first got the X but never bothered to have the system charged...

...Now that it's getting back into the 100's I thought it would be a novel idea to have AC in the X...:rolleyes:

...I am being told I either have a wiring problem or need to find the Relay location ...

...This might take a while so any help would be appreciated, Thanks...

...Again, this is on a 91 X 4x4...

Edit...Here is a link to the relay wiring...
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=91ExplorerHVACElectricaldiagrams_00.gif
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=91ExplorerHVACElectricaldiagrams-1.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...So far, I found the AC fuse and it is good...

...It looks like the wiring problem is inside the cab somewhere...The light for AC comes on when the switch is pushed...

...Acumulator switch is good...The wire problem seems to be for the comp/clutch...Doing some bypassing to make the compressor kick on with the dial set at max AC, we are getting cold air out of the windshield defrost only...:rolleyes:

...We might have a vacuum problem for the switch too...:dunno:

i have a AC Wiring Diagram if you need it

its one i got from a guy on here,i have every diagram for our truck but its a pdf and i would need to email it to you,it will not let me post pdf.just pm with your email if you want the files

...I already posted a pm to you as soon as I heard...:D

sent them hope they help but you may be right about the vacuum being the problem

...The wiring problem is there is no power to the compressor...:(

...I got the drawings ...:biggthump and a Big Thank You...:salute:

...They are for a 93 with the power distribution box on the drivers side...It shows a relay for the AC in the box...

...I need to know where the AC relay might be for a 91...

o yea figured they would be the same for all first gens.your fuse box is not on you drivers side on your 91

....Fixxxer found me a Diagrahm...:biggthump

..Now, does anyone know the location of the WOT/AC cutoff relay, or any other ac relays for the 91???

...With the help of Fixxxer, It seems the WOT/AC cutoff relay is the same as the Powertrain Control Relay...On the 91, it is the first Relay, closest to the battery...

..I replaced it and the AC compressor is now cycling properly...:biggthump

...For some reason it is blowing out of the front window defrost only, still...I am wondering if this is a problem with the solid state switch control, a cable, or a bad vacuum line...

...Does anybody know if the top lever is controlled by Solid State, cable, or vacuum???

...This lever controls max AC, panel, floor/panel, defrost, etc...I can't find any definite info on this so far...:scratch:

Tbars,

I'm pretty sure it's a cable driven. I remember seeing a dash behind the scenes on Trucks!, and also when I was replacing my headlights switch I could see the cable. If you look in the sticky for the Generation 1 Dash Removal,
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248021
In the first post, in the 7/8/9th pictures he talks about the cables.

Hope this helps! I get to help you this time!

....Thanks big time..:biggthump

...That's what I was looking for...I know they hacked my stereo and ashtray before I got it....I could only find one cable connected (cold/hot lever) and that show's at least 2 and will also answer the vacuum question...Thanks again...:salute:

....Good and bad news...

...I found the top cable connected but the plastic clip was broke and need to get that fixed...We ran some dye thru it just to be safe and it checks out ok...

...Added 1 more can to bring it up to proper and the clutch started to go...:rolleyes:

...It seems like there are different size clutches as in, 16 and 21 spline...I am hoping it's the 16 spline clutch as it is $52 while the 21 spline is like $85...:(

...Ok...I wound u having to get a new clutch...

...With factory AC the clutch turns out to be a 21 spline and the cost is about $90 out the door...After getting that r&r'd, it was running great for about 10 minutes when the compressor started to make some noise..:dunno:

...This is a pic of the upper AC control lever cable...The plastic clip is broke and that's what was giving me problems...I need to get this fixed also...It seems the angle the cable is at, it's a no brainer that it would fail..:(
AC_Cable_002.jpg

Does anyone have the A/C relay wiring diagram?

Back