Pulling engine/transmission- any tips? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling engine/transmission- any tips?

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
I am forced to pull my engine and transmission as a unit to remove one of the bellhousing bolts. Anyone have any quick tips/tricks on doing this?

I'm no stranger to pulling engines, just wondering if I should expect any crazy obstacles with this motor.

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you having trouble getting to the top bolts, or you're going to try pulling the whole thing to get to a damaged bolt that won't come out otherwise?

You can drop either the auto or manual tranny without pulling the engine. You just need the right size socket with a wobble and/or u-joint adapter, or even a u-joint socket sometimes works better. Use two 24" extensions (or sometimes a 12" and a 24") with a long enough ratchet (and maybe a breaker bar) and some creative contortionist positions and you can pop the tricky-to-get-to bolts and have them out in no time.

Seems like it would be pretty tough to pull them together, anyway, since the engine comes out going up and the tranny comes out going down. You can probably pull all the mounts and get the assembly at a better angle to get at the bolts, but just be sure the transmission is secure when taking out that last bolt!

The last (top passenger) bellhousing bolt is seized and stripped.

Pull your Radius Arm Cross Member. It will save a TON of interference.

Ryan

IIRC, a few people on here have pulled their motor + trans as a single unit. In order to do so they had to get the vehicle pretty high so the back of the trans wouldn't hit the ground AND cut out the radiator support.

~Mark

Get one of these:
http://www.princessauto.com/shop-ga...-cranes-engine-stands/1580009-engine-leveller

Remove the radiator and fan shroud and remove the water pump/fan assembly as well and it will free up a lot of room. With the engine leveller you should be able to pull it out all as one unit without having to lift the truck.

Some items are a bit of a pain to get to, I found the O2 sensor plugs a pain to get un done

hell if your replacing the trans take a small cut off wheel and cut the head of the bolt.dont worry about messing up the bell housing if your replacing all that!!as long as the head is cut off then you can pull the trans and then pb the hell out of it and heat the left over stud and put vise grips on there and turn it out.be easier than pulling a motor/trans together and then putting it back in!!

Holy crap. That absolutely didn't even cross my mind!

Unfortunately, I'm not being a smart ass.

shoot the first thing i think about when i cant get something out or off is a really big f** hammer or cut off wheel:hammer::hammer:!!THEN TORCH!!!!!!:fire::fire::shoot::thumbsup:

Cutting off the head of the bolt if it would involve messing up the bellhousing would be my second choice, assuming the tranny is in good condition and you could sell it otherwise.

If you have a decent welder that's easy enough to get up in there, I'd say try welding a nut to the head of the stripped bolt.

With an engine hoist, you can probably yank the engine up off the mounts, remove everything like you're going to drop the tranny (including the radius arm brackets to give more room), and tilt the whole thing down towards the back to get a better angle on it. If you need even more angle and can lift the chassis high enough, removing the upper intake will let the assembly tilt back even more.

there is a million a4ld out there and if you do ever get anyone to buy it they can always use there old bellhousing.cut that bi**h,i want to see sparks fly!!!!!hahaha sorry ive been cutting metal,grinding and welding out side in 105 degree weather all day making a new trans crossmember for my new radius arms,so i prob got the same attuide as you do towards that bolt!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

hey you get any where with that bolt yet?

Dude, I have a 4yo and can't work on it at my rental house. I'm going to try a couple quick things tomorrow and possibly Thursday, but it won't be until Sunday before I can really tear into it.

sweet keep us posted on how you get that out
Posted via Mobile Device

Back