Engine/transmission compatability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine/transmission compatability

1991exab

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 1991 Explorer with 4wd. It has a 4.0 V6 with a cracked head/blown head gasket. Will a 4.0 V6 engine out of a 1992 Explorer with 2 wheel drive bolt up to my transmission? I hate to be 3/4th's of the way through an engine swap and find out it won't work. Thanks in advance for any information and/or tips regarding this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? I would think that this would be a basic question for Explorer enthusiasts. Can anyone help?

You should be fine

'91 to '94 all used the exact same long block. So, worst case scenario, you'll have to strip the '92 down to the long block and then attach all the '91 stuff. There aren't that many differences in terms of accessories and engine management, so you probably won't have to even go that far.

Swapping the motors will be easy as Mr.Shorty stated that the 91-94 used the same harness etc.. Did your transmission go out aswell? or was going out? the easiest thing to do if your trans is good is to bolt up your old trans with the new motor. now if you just want 2wd then yes it will bolt right in dont quote me but im thinking that the 2wd drive shaft is a little shorter than the 4wd. if you indeed wanted to keep your 4wd and you wanted to convert the 2wd trans into 4 then you would have to a. buy a 4x4 trans filter and use your old pan b. swap the swap the tail housings out c. put your old transfer case on the new trans. be sure to use new gaskets when swapping these parts.... hope this helps best of luck
~troy~

Back