Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

97 Explorer 5.0 intake vacuum leak HELP!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
97 Explorer 5.0 intake vacuum leak HELP!!!

Ok I stopped by store and it was running great came out and started it up and just idled awful ran fine as long as you are moving but soon as you stop it just shakes and sounds awful,got home and looked under hood could hear a fairly loud sucking noise,found a fitting coming out of drivers side intake that looks like it should have a hose on it but there is no hose there.its a T fitting coming down from bottom of backside of intake there is a hose coming off backside but not on front side,if you put your finger on it the engine goes back to normal,the fitting is on drivers side near back of engine beside fuel rails.any help please is there just a cap on it or a hose that I cant find,also why woud it blow off since its a vacuum sucking in.I put a pic of it as my profile pic since I cant figure out how to put it here

Last edited by arpac90; 10-24-2009 at 06:29 PM.
arpac90 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
jlsparky7
Woodhaven, Mi
1996 5.0 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

This might help.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...uumDiagram.jpg

Ill keep looking for a 5.0 explorer but not sure if ill find one.

jlsparky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks bud I cant make much of that as far as putting that to what I got,Did you see the pic in my profile?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
coonerboy
Herkimer, NY
98 Explorer XLT 4wd V8

Vehicle Specs

This is likely part of the PCV system. Check very closely for broken or disconnected hoses or fittings. Alot of the PCV system on the V8's is very consealed. Try posting a pic if you can. Good luck

Old 10-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I still havent figured out where this hose is or what goes on this fitting,truck been sitting for two days now have no idea
Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Pics

go here to see the pics. photobucket.com/arpac90
Old 10-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yes thank you,
Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
jlsparky7
Woodhaven, Mi
1996 5.0 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Vid being uploaded now. Ill link it here when its done, Few more minutes. From the looks of things this is definitely your problem though. Good eye with catching it. That line is really buried in there.

YouTube Video
If you are able to see this message it means that you don't have flash installed or that the video server is down.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
rmorelli
97 eddie bauer

Vehicle Specs

OK guys mine just did this what is the fix a new black cap or ?
rmorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
jlsparky7
Woodhaven, Mi
1996 5.0 XLT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Watch the video. Its a tube that runs from the side of the intake manifold to the front of the intake manifold. Im guessing 1 inch tube.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
rmorelli
97 eddie bauer

Vehicle Specs

I watched the video I see that its a tube....my question is why is it poping off I can just put the little black vacuum cap back on and it runs great. Then the cap pops off again and I am back to square one I went to ford to try and buy the cap or tube assembly and they could not find it in there system.

So now what?

Thanks in adavnce.
or
Actually it would be nice to know what it is called....is it pcv or vacuum line for ?
rmorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ok well got mine fixed yesterday,it was just capped,the hose in the video actually runs to the PVC,went and looked at my brother in laws moms Mountaineer same engine and hers wasnt even T it had just one line back of the backside of engine and no fitting forward so we just used a bypass cap and its back to normal now
Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
coonerboy
Herkimer, NY
98 Explorer XLT 4wd V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpac90 View Post
Ok well got mine fixed yesterday,it was just capped,the hose in the video actually runs to the PVC,went and looked at my brother in laws moms Mountaineer same engine and hers wasnt even T it had just one line back of the backside of engine and no fitting forward so we just used a bypass cap and its back to normal now
Huh. Something about that dont sound quite right. Is your PCV in place in the rear of the lower intake manifold? To me it sounds like you plugged the vacuum line to the PCV and the PCV is missing.

Do this. Grab a flashlight. Climb up over the engine looking down at the very rear of it. You should be looking straight down from the large wiring connector on the firewall. There, at the back of the lower intake manifold is the PCV. It should have a vacuum hose attached to it. You should be able to easily pull the PCV out of the intake manifold(if you can get your hand in there). Is this all there?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yeah we pulled that hole hose out that you showed in video and it runs from front of intake underneath strait to pcv,like I said the Mountaneer has the same engine and the T I had hers only had one line coming out same spot
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
coonerboy
Herkimer, NY
98 Explorer XLT 4wd V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpac90 View Post
Yeah we pulled that hole hose out that you showed in video and it runs from front of intake underneath strait to pcv,like I said the Mountaneer has the same engine and the T I had hers only had one line coming out same spot
So you have no PCV valve in there? Or the PCV is there and you plugged the vacuum line to it? You should hook that vacuum line up to the PCV valve. You could run into a host of problems if the PCV system is blocked or bypassed.

Here is a link with pics that show the PCV setup on the V8. First 2 pages.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=149983

Old 10-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
arpac90
Stephens City,VA

1994 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Yeah the hose that he shows in the video runs from the bottomside of front of intake back to PCV,it is not what came unhooked on my truck.mine ended up just being capped on front side of T in pic.My PCV is intact like it is supposed to be
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #17
99SportX
Duluth, MN
1999 Ex & Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just replace the rubber cap and go on your way. Sometimes they blow off after a failed start when you don't crank it long enough. If it keeps happening try a zip tie or small hose clamp to keep it on.

99SportX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #18
ford5.0explorer
98 5.0 awd

Vehicle Specs

Hey guys I have the same problem, I fail to believe that the factory would have just put a cap on there, I think there must be a hose that goes there maybe it is only 97 5.0 awd specific? Here is a link to my post before I found this one http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...58#post2444058
ford5.0explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
yellow coupe
East Tn.
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

I have a 97 Mountaineer AWD. That hose goes to the front of the engine and tees off to 2 smaller hoses. 1 going to the passenger side and 1 to the driver side. Not sure what they go to though. The 1 on the driver side goes under the battery tray and the 1 on the passenger side goes under the air filter box. Hope this helps you in some anyway.
yellow coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
97AWD5.0
97 Explorer AWD 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Hello. I just came on here looking for help because of the same problem, and mine was a cap that popped off. I drove home in my Explorer last night, and it ran fine, but this morning it stalled repeatedly at startup, and even though I got it to idle a little better, I could clearly tell something was wrong, in addition to the bad idle, I heard the vacuum leak. I popped the hood, and saw the cap sitting on my exhaust manifold, but couldn't figure out where it came from. After seeing the pics posted by arpac90, I went out and looked, to see the spot on the manifold where it went. I have now checked out everything else, and the PCV is as it should be.

After reading everyone's post, it sounds like there is more than one configuration to the vacuum lines on these engines. I just figured that I'd post up my info to possibly shed additional light on the subject.
97AWD5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page